Author Topic: Obama's bailout plans: prelude to waste and squander  (Read 289 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Obama's bailout plans: prelude to waste and squander
« on: December 12, 2008, 02:30:29 AM »
The first big bailout proposed by Paulsen and then made more palatable by congress actually made sense because the lessons of the great depression include that when government takes a hands-off approach to a financial crisis, problems occur. I understand the reasoning that a quick and decisive and highly publicized stimulus from the government would at the very least send the right message to markets that the government is working to stabilize things. Whether it was the right decision, I don't know. And we never really will know. I still believe it was.

But Obama's idea for the next wave of stimulus reeks of a plan for spending money on Democrat initiatives under the guise of responsible stewardship of the public trust. The very rhetoric he uses repeatedly in claiming the economy is going to get worse before it gets better is a very bad message for a leader to send. He should be using more Churchillian language about dealing with adversity and rising above it. This man is huge trouble.
Safety first

Offline magooch

Re: Obama's bailout plans: prelude to waste and squander
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 03:21:44 AM »
I think Osama deserves some of the blame for some of the downturn, along with many of his cohorts (dumocrats).  You can't go around blathering on and on about how bad the economy is, which he did during the campaign, without having some people believe it and making it a self fulfilling prophecy.  I also believe that Rush Limbaugh is right when he says that if there were a Republican to blame for the lending, or credit crisis, the dumocrats would have the name/names all over the news.  There are plenty of dumocrats to blame and their names are well known.

All the same, I don't think the Republicans have heaped any glory on themselves with the give aways/loans that are going down.  The problem is that I don't think anyone knows what to do.  At best, Osama's plans seem kind of feeble to me.  Oh, I know, let's raise taxes on the rich and on gasoline--yeah, that'll help.

Swingem

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:08:03 AM »
As long as he spends the paper money on fixing infrastructure with legal labour and US made materials I see nothing wrong in that. 
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:47:51 AM »
America needs to have jobs. If he goes through with this so called infrastruce rebuilding it will put poeple to work and America will work herself out of this recession. Ya gotta have jobs to spend money. Consumer spending will create more jobs.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:03:52 AM »
This crisis has been years/decades in the making. Both Republicans and Democrats are responsible. In fact we're all responsible. I know I was pretty happy watching my retirement fund grow by leaps and bounds without knowing what was really transpiring which, ultimately was my responsibility. Now it's time for a reality check.
A selection of articles for your perusal:
http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/archive/recession
How do we get out of it? I don't think anyone has the answer. It's going to be like the depression where many different programs were initiated. Some worked some didn't and some are part of our current problems.
Getting recalibrated may even be good for us.
Hold on to your hats it could be a wild ride!