Author Topic: gotta problem  (Read 658 times)

Offline striker525

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
gotta problem
« on: December 04, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »
was wondering if anyone else ran across the same thing and might have a cure or a reasoning.

I was sighting in my new "Ultralight" 12ga slug barrel couple weeks ago and after 3 rounds I had to start pushing the spent hulls out with a cleaning rod because they wouldn't eject. I could'nt even get at the rim of the brass with my knife. It seemed like they seated too deep in the chamber. I was shooting 2 3/4" winchester hollowpoint slugs at the time. I have swapped to Remington 3"mags and have'nt had a problem yet.?!?!?!? (knock on wood).

By the way I have shot two deer in two days with it using the 3"mags and not a problem. will try the Winchesters again after season and see if it is just the flavor of ammo or not?!?!?

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: gotta problem
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:46:25 AM »
Striker525, I put a spent Win. Partition Gold shell in my 20 Ga. USH. It only sticks up a few thousandths, if the ejector did not push it out you would never get under it with a tool. The shell face is NOT recessed in the chamber. I tried 5 different spent shells and they all still fit loose in the chamber. When your shells would not eject did the ejector pop them out once loosened? Did you close the action and then open it to see if the ejector functioned correctly with no shell in it? Could be the shells, or if it happens again and the ejector is a little weak you can tweak it a little. The instructions are in the FAQ's. Good luck, tell us what you find out. JamesIII

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:50:56 PM »
Striker525, I put a spent Win. Partition Gold shell in my 20 Ga. USH. It only sticks up a few thousandths, if the ejector did not push it out you would never get under it with a tool. The shell face is NOT recessed in the chamber. I tried 5 different spent shells and they all still fit loose in the chamber. When your shells would not eject did the ejector pop them out once loosened? Did you close the action and then open it to see if the ejector functioned correctly with no shell in it? Could be the shells, or if it happens again and the ejector is a little weak you can tweak it a little. The instructions are in the FAQ's. Good luck, tell us what you find out. JamesIII

I was only having a problem with spent 2 3/4" winchester hulls so far. I switched over to Remington 3"mags and no problems.
As far as checking the ejector I did, it never budged on any of the shells that got stuck. I also opened and closed several times on each one hoping that maybe I was just not opening it fast enough. The head of the shell was actually a bit lower than the face of the chamber, but only on the Winnies. I have another box or so of the winnies when I shoot them I will take the time to check (measure) everything out. When I pushed on the shell with the cleaning rod the shell would eject out like there was nothing wrong with it.

Offline UltraSlugBill

• One shot, One kill
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
I have two heavy barreled slug guns. One is N.E.F and one is H&R. The N.E.F. also sticks on anything Winchester. Federal and Remington both eject well, only Winnies stick. I too have to use a rod to get em out. It just takes a little tap then the ejector takes over. I am thinking bout the bb behind the ejector spring as described in FAQ
If you plan to steal from my property, be sure to give your soul to God for I will take your ass.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
If that doesn't work, just carry a drill bit, piece of pencil lead or sinker to drop thru the bore to knock it out, lots easier than worrying about it or carrying a rod!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:06:10 AM »
Is this only a problem with the 12 guage?  We use strictly Winchester Partition Golds in the 20 guages we hunt with and have never had this problem.

Would polishing the chamber do any good in this case? Just wondering........

Offline UltraSlugBill

• One shot, One kill
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:49:04 PM »
the cases/hulls dont seem to be the problem. They really jump right out with the smallest bump down the throat. It rally acts to me like there may be a little hang up in the ejector assy itself. Anyway, both mine happen to be 12 ga. the plain wood stock ush works flawlessy with any shell. Its the NEF tracker ll with the fancy laminated stock that gives me trouble. If I compare the two, the ejector on my problem child can be pushed in easier than on the other gun.(using finger pressure)
If you plan to steal from my property, be sure to give your soul to God for I will take your ass.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 04:06:31 PM »
 I could be wrong, happens a lot lately.

Sounds like you may have a weak ejector spring. I think there is a fix for it in the FAQ.

Lonny

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:16:03 AM »
Thanks guys,

I had it happen to me yesterday with a Remington 3" mag, causing me to miss the deer with the followup shot. Anyways am going to try to do a little polishing and the BB trick. hopefully it'll help.

Offline tominohio

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
I had this problem in my 20 gauge USH with Hornady SST slugs.

I polished my chamber, and put a BB behind the ejector spring, as described in the fax. Fixed it right up  :)