Author Topic: Stock Project: Factory vs. GunstocksInc. ???  (Read 595 times)

Offline tdn

• Trade Count: (7)
Stock Project: Factory vs. GunstocksInc. ???
« on: December 12, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
So, I am getting a new H&R for a project...first step: stock.

I am planning to strip it, reshape it a bit, stain, refinish and custom checker.

Wondering if I want to do this with the factory stock, or skip the stripping and order a one from Gunstocks Inc. saving the first step.

But, does anyone know if the regular/basic walnut GunstocksInc uses, are nicer than the factory ones?? Better grain/look??

Any suggestions?
Thanks guys-

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Stock Project: Factory vs. GunstocksInc. ???
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »
The Gunstocks products are nice but I find them also on the "thick" side kinda like the factory.

Fred M. has done the absolute nicest re-shaping/re-finishing of a handi stock I have ever seen. They look awesome, I am very sure it was a fair amount of time and effort to get them as nice as they are. He uses the laminated ones, at least thats what I have seen.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »
Sounds like your method would be the way to go, and that way you will still have the stock should you decide to pick up another receiver later on or you could sell it in the classifieds and help defray the cost of the new stock.

I have a Gunstocks Inc. stock on my handi and I really like it.

I bought the unfinished walnut roll over montecarlo, and it does have a lot of meat on it when you first get it which I immediately began to hack away at to get it much thinner so that it would flow with the lines of the receiver unlike the factory stocks that are so thick.

I took off a lot of wood, and especially off the high rollover cheek piece using a block plane, since it looked like a table top since it was so high I couldn't hardly see through the scope without having to lay my head sideways on the stock.

I believe they do that purposefully because everyone doesn't have an identical size head, and cheek bones to eye distances that vary also from person to person, and I bought it knowing before I got it that I planned on removing a lot of that excess wood, because the basic shape I wanted was there.

So after a huge pile of shavings I am more than satisfied how mine turned out, and after all that work and sweat, and blood, it does have a satisfying personal touch to it, and beautiful grain, and deep rich,Tru oil finish.

Look at it this way, if you mess up the stock and don't like the way it looks, you've always got the original to put back on!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline NoBull60

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:18:17 AM »
If either of you guys has a picture or two of the finished stock attached to the rifle, it would be appreciated as well. I agree also that the NEF stock not only looks thick but feels thick compaired to other stocks. ie: synthetic vs. wood. Some of us are vertically challenged making hands somewhat smaller as well.

There are some very pics in this forum that may help you out as well.

NoBull60
We are hunters and gatherers by nature, thank God for Mother Nature.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:10:28 AM »

I've been playing with the same idea myself. I like the stock on the BC but I's like it on my .30-30. I'm thinking I'd also like the same design on a rimfire.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 07:21:18 AM »
Lots of pics in the FAQs and Help topic "Let's see some Handis", 7 pages so far!  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,97911.msg1098249435.html#msg1098249435
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »
Factory and GunstocksInc are both viable options if you're gonna shape one to your likings.   I personally prefer the Gunstock's wood and the extra beef to works with.

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07