Author Topic: What state is most corrupt???  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
What state is most corrupt???
« on: December 12, 2008, 03:58:56 AM »
As it turns out, North Dakota is currently the most corrupt state of all.  Check out your state to see it's level of corruption as compared to other states.  Isn't it fun that we actually have statistics like these?  Unbelievable!!

Link:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-12-10-corruptstates_N.htm?se=yahoor 

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: What state is most corrupt???
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:06:32 AM »
We're only 18th in Illinois??   Whaaat??  Our lousy dishonest politicians can't do any better than that?  I thought they were good at something, but I guess I overestimated them. Shouldn't we get bonus points for Blagojevich?  Sorry bunch of phony losers.  ::) ::) ;D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:18:35 AM »
Shouldn't we get bonus points for Blagojevich?

DITTO
This man is said to be unbalanced (even by the media) as he has ignored all request's to step down even by Obama.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:52:06 AM »
We're only 18th in Illinois??   Whaaat??  Our lousy dishonest politicians can't do any better than that?  I thought they were good at something, but I guess I overestimated them. Shouldn't we get bonus points for Blagojevich?  Sorry bunch of phony losers.  ::) ::) ;D

Don't worry that was based on convictions.

You don't get convicted of corruption in Chicago, your get promoted.
Maybe even to president. ;D

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:53:04 AM »
The states on the top of the list don't put up with corruption the way liberal states like Illinois, California, New York, Mass, etc do.  Here in The Peoples Republik Of Chikago, corruption has been a way of life for politicians since long before Capone was around.  People are used to getting bent over and turn a blind eye to it.

In states like North Dakota the people stand up against that crap.  That's my theory anyway, right or wrong.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:16:59 AM »
Keep in mind that there may be a bias here.  I believe the article states that North Dakota is constantly after corruption and therefore they do a better job of identifying it and then doing something about it (making arrests).  In this light, it may give North Dakota a bad name by saying they have a high amount of corruption.  On the other hand, a state that doesn't keep after corrupt politicians and make appropriate arrests, they may have an appearance of being a less corrupt state.  Truly, what the survey should state is that North Dakota has made the most arrests on corruption.    For example, North Dakota may arrest say 50% of their corrupt politicians (making up numbers for the example here) while maybe a state like Illinois may only make 15% arrests (again, making up numbers for sake of the example).  In the example (which is completely fictitious and only for sake of expressing an example), North Dakota looks worse when actually Illinois would be worse in light of the fact that they aren't acting against the corruption.  Make sense??

One must keep an open mind when reading statistics like these.  There are always biases. 

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 05:26:11 AM »
If you notice the "Liberal" states were not as "corrupt".  Like the previous poster said, less populated states know their politicians better and catch them, and demand more accountability.  While the more populated liberal big city states, let too much slide, and hide in the numbers.  Not a fair article. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 05:33:10 AM »
then also less people cost less to keep quiet ! hummmmmm
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 05:34:30 AM »
I agree with you all.  The measurements and conclusions are skewed.  Still fun to read.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »
 A great example on how you can use statistics to get any result you want to get. note that they use per capita figures and n.d. has a real low population giving each crime a lot more weight in per capita figures.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline magooch

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 04:33:30 AM »
I doubt that my state (Washington) can compete for corruption with Illinois, New York, or maybe even North Dakota, but we do have a disgraceful Governor.  You may have heard O'reilly talking about her.
Swingem

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 04:45:07 AM »
Kalifornia, maybe not so much corrupt as DUMB. They spend like drunken sailors and then ask the rest of us to bail them out. My tax dollars going directly to bail out places like San Francisco makes me want to vomit.

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 04:54:15 AM »

Don't worry that was based on convictions.

You don't get convicted of corruption in Chicago, your get promoted.
Maybe even to president. ;D

That is an excellent point!  I think if were based on crimes committed and not convictions the stats would be REALLY DIFFERENT!

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
Yes the ones at the top of the list may be the least corrupt as they actually make thier criminals pay for what they do.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »
Oklahoma has had more really big corruption scandals in the past 50 years than any other state.  Lots of Okies know about these scandals in advance but they say nothing and the feds always have to clean it up.   

The OK Supreme Court bribery scandal:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,841846,00.html

Little in U.S. judicial history comes close to matching the scandal now swirling around the Oklahoma State Supreme Court. Last week Oklahoma's senate scheduled proceedings against Justice Napoleon Bonaparte Johnson, 74, on impeachment charges by the state house of representatives. His colleague, Justice Earl Welch, 73, will escape the same fate only because he recently resigned in the wake of charges that he and Johnson took bribes in exchange for favorable decisions. Meanwhile, a state grand jury has indicted the two justices, both of them Oklahoma Indians. The alleged bribery ringleader is former Chief Justice Nelson S. Corn, 80, himself a convicted federal tax evader, as is Justice Welch.

We even had a judge who masturbated in court scandal.  He got four years in prison:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14410634/

List of big OK scandals:

http://prowlingowl.com/Comments/OKScandals.cfm

OKSCAM
County Commissioner  The largest government scandal to ever occur in the US. See more below 

Most Governors impeached  One third of all governors ever impeached and removed in the US. See more below 

Two speakers  Two speakers of the Oklahoma House of Representatives have been convicted on criminal charges 

Various public officials  Countless other public officials have drawn jail time. 

Oklahoma Tax Commission
$31 Million  Truck tax scandal
115 separate counts against 17 individuals. For years, private trucking agents gave kickbacks to corrupt Oklahoma Tax Commission employees for allowing truck registration agents to use false projections to make it appear as if more miles would be traveled in low-cost states and less miles in high-cost states to lessen tax bills. See more below 

Insurance Commissioner  More

Ghost Employees  Oklahoma State Department of Health.
Multi-County Grand Jury investigating the scandal issued 12 indictments involving 15 individuals and 159 separate criminal counts. See more below 

Penn Square  Outside the government but the same culture mindset that permates our state. As someone once said, about Mark Singer's "Funny Money", a book on Penn Square, "it was a conspiracy of circumstances aided by a large dose of stupidity."  Federal S & L  Nationwide, but made for Oklahoma

Gene Stipe Will we ever know how many?

Campaign Corruption We will never know how many?

Oklahoma Tax Commission $31 Million Truck tax scandal

115 separate counts against 17 individuals.

Oklahoma has paid 12 other states more than $30.5 million to resolve a legal dispute about truck registration fees that arose from an Oklahoma Tax Commission scandal, officials confirmed Friday.

For years, private trucking agents gave kickbacks to corrupt Oklahoma Tax Commission employees for allowing truck registration agents to use false projections to make it appear as if more miles would be traveled in low-cost states and less miles in high-cost states to lessen tax bills.

Governors:

In the entire history of the US there have been eleven governors impeached. Of those six were removed. Oklahoma had two of the six that were removed.

Not included in these numbers is David Hall who was arrested shortly after leaving office. A federal court convicted Governor David Hall of extortion and other crimes committed during his tenure, as Governor. 1975

Governor David Walters avoided seven felony charges by accepting a plea bargain in 1994.

OkScam:

The County Commissioner scandal, a purchasing kickback scandal resulting in the conviction of 200 individuals, including over 2/3rds of the sitting county commissioners, representing 60 of 77 Oklahoma counties (1981-1984)

Oklahoma has 77 counties. Each county has 3 elected County Commissioners for a total of 231 County Commissioners state wide. During the early 1980's over 200 of Oklahoma's County Commissioners and suppliers were indicted in federal courts in a massive kickback scandal.

The FBI dubbed the investigation of corruption in county government in Oklahoma 'OKSCAM'. OKSCAM was "the largest local corruption investigations in American history." Ref: Bad Times for Good Ol' Boys: The Oklahoma County Commissioner Scandal. Harry Holloway with Frank S. Meyers.

A three-year federal investigation of the state's elected officials has found that graft is routine and nearly ubiquitous in Oklahoma county government.

Several Oklahoma counties saw all three commissioners indicted.

"abusers justified their illegal behavior on the basis that they were entitled to their gains."

From BAD TIMES FOR GOOD OL' BOYS, The Oklahoma County Commissioner Scandal. Where Harry Holloway, and Frank S. Meyers sifted through a large body of evidence, conducted a public-opinion survey, and interviewed nearly half of all county commissioners in office following the prosecutions.

The Untouchables Are Back!

Ghost Employees - Oklahoma State Department of Health

First made news in May 2000 from a federal investigation into corruption at the department A Multi-County Grand Jury investigating the scandal issued 302 subpoenas for witnesses a nd evidence, heard from 150 witnesses, examined 1242 exhibits and issued 12 indictments involving 15 individuals and 159 separate criminal counts.

The Grand Jury also found cases of shames, involving jobs were no real worked expected or required. These were mostly where current and former members of the Oklahoma Legislature had used their influence to secure employment at the health department for family members, friends and associates, often without regard to the qualifications of those hired.

See Oklahoma's next rising scandal star

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 03:31:43 AM »

ALL POLITICIANS ARE CORRUPT They show us each and every day
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Questor

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
The article is pure BS. The standard of measurement in it is corruption per 100,000 residents. Of course states with low population are going to look bad when measured like that. The real question is the scope and scale of the corruption. Does North Dakota have anything comparable to a governor selling a senate seat? One afternoon in Chicago will convince even the most incompetent observer that corruption is a way of life in that city.
Safety first

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 06:23:55 AM »
Thanks Questor.  As a Chicago born Illinoisan, I don't like other states stealing our thunder!   ;D

During my working career I worked and did business in many states and some foreign countries.  I spent a lot of time in Louisiana.  I can assure you there was no corruption in Lousiana.  Lagniappe? - yes.   ;)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 02:18:55 PM »
I have three words for all you guys who think your state is the most corrupt... "The Big Dig".  ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
I have to add this question, in the most corrupt state would the corrupt polititions be arrested and convicted?

Just a little food for thought.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Questor

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 03:45:45 PM »
Billy: In a word, yes, if the Feds are the ones doing the arresting, as in the Illinois governor case.

Brett: Yep, kinda hard to beat the big dig.
Safety first