Author Topic: Custom Barrels For H&R  (Read 1493 times)

Offline brennemanj83

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Custom Barrels For H&R
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
Does anyone know where I  have a full on custom barrel made?Me and My dad have been toying with idea of having 2 barrels made up in 40-65 WCF with an octagon profile.We are thinking about getting BPCR shooting but with the 38/55's we are sure to be out gunned at the long range shoots.We have thought about the BC barrels but the 45/70 would get to shoulder after a while especially when your shooting a day match.So we settled on the 40-65 with a 34" octagon barrel if we can find someone that can do this for us.

Thanks..Jon
Banned for less than honest trading practices.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Custom Barrels For H&R
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
Wayne York of Oregunsmithing has done several custom barrels for me, .35Remington, .338-06A-Square, .405Winchester, .280 Improved, 6.5x55 and 6mmRem AI, he does exellent work and his 6 groove cut rifling is sweet!! His prices are on his web site. He will require a donor barrel, he does rebores/rechambers and stubs, but I don't know if he does octagon barrels, but I've never asked either.

Tim

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eoregunsmithing/index.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 02:50:37 PM »
Sure wouldn't be a cheap project, GM has barrels, but at $265.00 plus the stub and work you would be into the barrel well over $600.00.  Larry

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=323952
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »

I would think the octagon part of your order would add substantially to the total cost. A standard BC reamed out to .45-90 would be most usable unless you're wanting to cut down on the recoil by dropping to .40 cal.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:13:39 PM »
Tim ?

Did i see that price sheet right ? Wayne only charges $40 for reaming and re-crowning a handi barrel ??

Well what im mainly wondering i guess more then anything ..AND I KNOW you  KNOW Tim  ;D   How would the 357 mags 1 in 18+ twist work for the 35 whelen ?

My guess is that someone would have tried this by now and report failure or sucess ... If its a do-able then i might not be getting rid of this little rifle after all Heh

Dont mean to hi-jack the thread,

Doh just thought about the ejector , that whelen will have alot bigger tail then that 357 ...Well I'll let the question ride.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:44:39 PM »
He charges $40 to cut the barrel and recrown, $100 for a rechamber.

The 357mag would work fine for the Whelen, my 35 Remington shoots 240gr cast bullets fine,  according to the Greenhill formula, it should work with bullets that are 1.1" or shorter in the Whelen, that would include a 200gr round nose. A 30-06 family ejector/extractor would be a drop in.

Tim

http://kwk.us/twist.html

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »
Tim, 

Thanks for the intel ...Whats Waynes turn around on average ? And would he need the whole rifle or just the barrel ?

As for the 30-06 ejector/extractor .. I havent taken the rifle apart to that point since no malfunction has warranted it , would that allow me to keep my ejector assembly and add the 06's plate or would i need to replace the whole thing  ?

Thanks again Tim ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »
He only wants the barrel, he doesn't have to log it in that way. Actually the 30-06 extractor/ejector is shorter than the 357Mag because it has a bigger rim. If the 357 barrel is an ejector barrel, it would also need to be converted for rimless ejection in addition to adding a 30-06 ejector, see the FAQs on that topic. If it's an extractor, just swap out an extractor claw from H&R or cut it down a little.

Tim

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 07:24:11 PM »
 Hmmm ,

Kinda thought the whole metal molde for the shape of the 357 would be erased due to the demensions of the whelens case...The rear of a 06 case has a larger diameter then the 357 ..

I'll look into the ejector /extractor issue ... Hmmm starting to wonder if re-barreling my old mauser with a new Shilen 35 Whelen wouldnt be easier heh

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
The 357 chamber would be enlarged to the dimensions of the Whelen, the ejector/extractor really has nothing to do with the chamber except for the notch in the bottom for the post, the ejector itself is housed in the underlug. If you spend a little time in the FAQs, you'll see the pics.  ;)

A barrel change on the Mauser would be a better choice specially if you want to shoot Whelen size bullets in it, my 1:16" RMEF Whelen shoots 250gr spitzers just fine.

Tim

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »
Good to know ,

I'll have to roll this around in my head and come up with a game plan for my whelen ..

Thanks Tim,

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 09:10:13 AM »
This guy appears to make shotgun barrels from scratch, I dont know if he would machine a rifle barrel or not, probally pretty pricey if he would.

http://www.wilsonprecision.com/guns.html

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »
I too  shoot ONLY BPCR's and you know.....40-65 could be a great option if fitted on an existing TC set-up........Tim???.....could it be done right off an existing 38-55? or what would be the best way to go assuming one went with a standard round barrel?

As for the choice of punishment...."Rustyinfla".....the reason I shoot 38-55 is RECOIL!!!!.....I HATE HEAVY RECOIL :'(.  I all but gave my Brother-in-Law my 45-70, dioes, brass and heads because it beat the stuffing out of me and my old bones had already fallen in love with my 38-55 TC ;D ;D.   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 12:41:58 PM »
Just rechamber and rebore a 38-55 Target, I had a 405 Winchester made from my first Target.  ;)

Tim

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
You know Tim?......you could get me into real trouble  ;D ;D......I think I just might smell a 40-65 coming out of the latest 38-55 I purchased  :D.....whoooooooooo!!!!!!!.....I'll bet the cost to clear up the 38-55 could be well spent creating a 40-65 Target Classic.........with the Buffington Trapdoor sight and Pedersoli front globe......man that WOULD be a hell of a long range shooter.......oh I gotta move to another room....this is costing TOO much $$$ this near to Christmas...... 8)  Thanks for the info......(my wife hates you BTW :D :D :D :D :D)...only kidding.....I havn't told her about the new TC........ ::)...YET!!!!!!