Author Topic: .223 Fluted Heavy?  (Read 736 times)

Offline chad1043

• Trade Count: (3)
.223 Fluted Heavy?
« on: November 27, 2008, 06:19:30 AM »
I'm looking at putting together a heavy barrel varmint. I was wondering if the $130 fluted Heavy barrel is worth the extra money. If not this barrel which would you choose?

Thanks,
Chad

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .223 Fluted Heavy?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 07:13:20 AM »
Flutes look cool and weigh less than a conventional barrel, but that's about all, they aren't as stiff as a solid barrel and the fluting isn't effective in increasing heat dissipation, I'd spend the extra $20 on something else.  ;)

Tim

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RealBenefitsBarrelFluting.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 03:15:19 PM »

Thank you Tim,

I am constantly amazed by you resources.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
Glad to share, thanks.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Russ Jerome

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
If your shooting paper I like a full bull barrel as well, hunting I like any weight I can save. I personely have had no luck with sporter barrels for long range accuracy.

I've got nearly 400 acres to cross, walking from corner to corner with my rifle in tow I would pay $100 to save weight on my trip. I also still hunt in a zig-zag pattern on the way back to the house, any weight saving is priceless.
http://sites.google.com/site/miscmicsforlinks/Home/UltraVarmint50mm.JPG?attredirects=0
My ultra took a doe at my farthest deer stand last monday...that sucker started getting pretty heavy about half way back with a gutted deer in tow!

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »
The flutes on a H&R are also rough like a sand casting.  They are not machined into the barrel.  This makes it hard to keep dry and oiled.  The flutes seem to rust very easily compared to a smooth surfaced barrel.

Offline Wakaba

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »
I actually like my 26" bull fluted, shoots damn good, and shaves a bit of weight off the full bull.  I bought it because, well,  I had the $20 to kick around.  I have no issue with the longer range accuracy of the barrel, and any problems I have at 200+ is due to me, not the rifle.

As stated before, shooting paper, go with the full bull.  If you are going to haul the weight around the field, go with the flutes.
-Rich

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 12:12:05 PM »
I do not have a fluted Handi barrel. I do have a fluted SS barrel of another make. It shoots real well. I have no doubt that the fluted Handi barrel can shoot real well too. With that said, I do not know if the weight savings of a fluted bull barrel would be as much if you just got a regular weight barrel and may not be as stiff. Regular weight barrels are almost as big as a bull barrel. I have a 223 bull barrel and I have regular weight barrels. There is not a whole lot of difference in them. Sporting weight barrels can be accurate too, just like a bull barrel. It is a matter of how many shots you want to take with them and if they have residual stresses in them or not. Sporter (read skinny) weight barrels will heat up quicker than a bull barrel, but if you are using it for hunting, how many shots are you going to take in a row? I am with Tim on this, they look cool and do save a LITTLE weight (not much), but do not cool off any quicker and are not as stiff as a barrel that is not fluted. Go ahead and get one, but; I bet there is just a few ounces difference in their weight. Is that worth it to you? If it is by all means get it. You may also find it is not any lighter than a regular weight barrel witch is almost as big as a bull barrel in a Handi. I would be curious to know how much a bull barrel weighs, how much a fluted barrel weighs and a regular barrel weight all being the same length. Good Luck and Good Shooting ;D

BTW - Shilen will not flute a barrel for you. Their attitude is that it can only hurt accuracy, not help. Some other manufactures will cut flutes in for you, and the customer is always right. ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Jones

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 05:24:35 PM »
I got to get in this one. I sighted in a 300wm (yes i know its not a H&R) Remington for a friend of mine. comepaired to my dads 300wm abolt it cooled of 50% faster. Even with a loopy scope( yes i know it don't matter just don't like eather Remington or loopy).
 I like mine fluted if possible.

GJ

Ps: Thank you for putting the spell checker on here.

Offline halfshot

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 04:03:20 PM »
I know everybody likes lam  stocks on  ultra varmint rifles,,but if you put  syn  butt  stock  and  the oversized survivor forearm  on  them  ,,it  will lighten  the  load  and with the oversized forearm  it  will handle  like a sporter,, with the accuracy of a bull barrel . works  for  me....