Author Topic: visting the uk, need some ideas for things to do  (Read 408 times)

Offline mountainview

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
visting the uk, need some ideas for things to do
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but here goes. I'm off to England (first time traveler there) in February and will probably schedule a few days for non-business pursuits. I'm  interested in getting a couple good gun/shooting related activities/visits worked in while I am in the London and Sheffield areas. If anyone could provide some specific suggestions or tips, I'd be most interested in hearing about them.

Regards,

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: visting the uk, need some ideas for things to do
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but here goes. I'm off to England (first time traveler there) in February and will probably schedule a few days for non-business pursuits. I'm  interested in getting a couple good gun/shooting related activities/visits worked in while I am in the London and Sheffield areas. If anyone could provide some specific suggestions or tips, I'd be most interested in hearing about them.

Regards,
Gun shooting in the UK!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with that. :o >:( Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:37:19 PM »
We have at least one Brit on the forums he posts as Brithunter. If he happens not to see this you might contact him off forum via PM to ask him. I suspect he is your best chance of getting the needed info here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »
MV I just got off the websites of J Purdey and Holland & Holland.  Both are located in London and you could see some of the finest shotguns made as well as accessories.  Get yourself a detailed map of the London underground system.  You can easily go everywhere you want on it.  You might find a trap shoot somewhere but its mostly clubs and hunting season would be over unless woodpidgeon is open.  I'd search for outfitters who could line up anything that might be available.  I was reduced to air rifle for my two years there.  A severe case of withdrawl.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »
The Tower of London has an interesting weapons collection, as well as exhibits of some of the storied British regiments.  The British Museum is another place you may want to visit.  As for shooting, good luck.

When you need a break, look for a pub with a CAMRA badge in the window.  They participate in the Campaign for Real Ale.  Don't drink anything out of cans if you can get to a pub.  It's like eating a can of beef stew when you can dine on steak.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »
Man, there's to much to see in a few days.  The imperial war museum has got to be one of the best in the world. 

While these are not shooting related,

I think Westminster Abby is a must see.  Changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace also.  St. Pauls Cathedral too.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 04:49:04 PM »

There's plenty of shooting done in the U.K. In fact some folks shoot shotguns with suppressors on them. Try that here in the land of the Free.
   There are two fellows that post on Leverguns.com a lot. Nath is quite the fox hunter, and I don't mean from horseback either. He also posts some of the most wonderful pictures you've ever seen.

I think if I were going I'd try to to look up some makers of some of the fine doubles while I was there. I wouldn't tell them I couldn't afford what they had mind you. But it sure would be nice to look.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 09:25:30 PM »
wow, don't limit to shooting and stuff like that.  You can spend a month sightseeing in London alone.  Actually, you can take the tube to within a block or three anywhere in the city.  The Crown Jewels are a must, Madame Tussauds (sp?) is great.  Westminster Abbey and the cathedral must be seen as well.  If you can get to the gun shops, have fun.  Take MUCH money.  The pound is still about two to one to the dollar and prices are about double US prices.  What I can buy in the US for $100 costs well more than 100pounds in my experience, sometimes up to 200pounds depending on what it is.  That said... enjoy your trip.  I've been four or five times and can't wait to go back.  I really liked Scotland much more than England itself.  I think we are going to Ireland in spring of 09... at least I hope we are.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"