Author Topic: Walnut hill press using type-R dies  (Read 1100 times)

Offline tiger

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.tigerprecision.com
Walnut hill press using type-R dies
« on: August 17, 2003, 03:47:07 AM »
Is it possible to use my CH4D 44mag swage dies in the Walnut Hill press? I have been using an RCBS Ammomaster w/50BMG conversion so far. I can tell it is really stressing out the press. I'd like to get a real swage press, with a much shorter stroke. I don't need it to also reload cartridges, because I already have the RCBS, and a few Lee presses. Does the Walnut Hill use 7/8"-14 dies? If it would just require a small adaptor or some inexpensive upgrade, then that would be fine. I've made about a thousand 44mag bullets using 192gr cast lead cores. I'm using the Corbins core cast mold. The lead I'm using is not pure, it's plumbing lead sheet that had been under bathrooms. I think that's why my RCBS press isn't swaging them easily. Maybe pure lead would be better. But I have to work with what I have, and I do have about 500lbs of this stuff.

So if anyone can help me make a decision, I'd appreciate it!
All your base are belong to us

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 04:11:31 AM »
Short answer is: YES. see  www.rceco.com   For $275 + shipping you can get what you want from RCE, but then you will have to get a reloading adapter that fits in the RCE made 'S/M' die conversion from RCE or Corbin Co, and that will run about another $45.
  About your lead: That sheet you are using is probably very very close to BNh 5.5, which is OK to use as you are doing. Just don't smelt the soldiered seams when you reduce it into cores. 8)

Offline tiger

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.tigerprecision.com
RCE, co.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 01:15:21 PM »
I've seen their website, and have been debating with myself for a long time whether or not to get a real swage press. The press I saw was $230. Is it the same? Or is the $275 including the adaptor?

Oh, and another question. Is it typical for the die to be in the ram, with the pin in the press head? That would appear to be a better solution, so that on the press handle up stroke, the bullet can be ejected, rather than tapped out with a mallet. That is one thing about using a reloading press I will NOT miss.

I'll call RCE tomorrow.

Quote from: talon
Short answer is: YES. see  www.rceco.com   For $275 + shipping you can get what you want from RCE, but then you will have to get a reloading adapter that fits in the RCE made 'S/M' die conversion from RCE or Corbin Co, and that will run about another $45.
  About your lead: That sheet you are using is probably very very close to BNh 5.5, which is OK to use as you are doing. Just don't smelt the soldiered seams when you reduce it into cores. 8)
All your base are belong to us

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 03:58:49 PM »
Press=$230; Converter  to allow the small threads of the 'S' and 'M' dies of Corbin Co to work=$45 ( this converter is needed, mainly, to allow the reloading adapter made by Corbin Co to fit the Wallnut Hill ram) Then, the reloading adapter=$45. Use of 'R' dies is just the reverse from the use of all other Corbin bullet swage dies: The 'R' body fits in the floating punch holder Head Stock; the punch fits in the Reloading adapter which itself fits in the Ram. Sorry... you still are stuck with the 'ol mallet trick when using 'R' type dies. The biggest benefit in getting a Walnut Hill press is to get started in Swaging by using the Walnut Hill series of dies, while also having the capability to switch to the Corbin Co dies if the opertunity arrises. If all you intend to do is use CH/4D dies, or other "type R" dies, you could consider the used Series II press I have for resale for about 2/3rd's the cost. If you don't know what a Series II press is, it LOOKS very much like the current "Corbin S-Press", but is one generation behind in bells and whistles. There is over ten times the number of Series II presses in use than all the Walnut Hull and S-Presses ever made. By the way, as Graybeardoutdoors' e-mail buttons don't seem to work these days, if you want to contact me direct, just use my "PM"(personal message) button. 8)