Author Topic: I DISPISE SOME TROPHY HUNTERS!!  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
I DISPISE SOME TROPHY HUNTERS!!
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
 These was found in an area I hunt, by a neighbor kid >:(. I am calling DNR first thing in the morning(I am at work)

Lonny

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: I DISPISE SOME TROPHY HUNTERS!!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:39:55 PM »
Yep.  There are slob hunters among us, hopefully not among the "us" that is QDMA "us".  Know what I mean?  Finding remains like this fuels the anger of moral and ethical hunters.  No doubt, the DNR is as confounded as are you.  If they didn't see it happen for themselves, eye witness, then the event is just another write-up in their book full of similar events.  Darn tough to catch someone in the act.  Good luck.  Keep a "weather eye" out for slob hunters.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »
I have reported the same  scene myself. The warden came and took tissue samples and said that they would do DNA comparisons to trophies brought to taxidermists. Sounds kind of expensive, but they have their own lab. There is plenty of it goes on here, because we have nice trophies, and places that are real hard to retrieve meat. It is also a felony to take trophies and leave the meat in this state.

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »
  Hey, Lonny. What are those pics of?  My computer will not show them...thanks

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:10:02 PM »
You are assuming the deer was shot for it's rack only. Altho this could be, it could also be that someone else found the dead deer before the neighbor kid and didn't want the rack to go to waste like the meat did. I have done the same to bucks shot and lost by other hunters  I find when scouting for next year in late spring. I gotta coupla nice sets of "rattlin'" horns from deer I've found dead in the woods after season. Unfortunately big racked bucks are easy to see in the woods and many folks take lower percentage shots at them than they would if they were a smaller buck........big bucks tend to die harder than small bucks and thus can be hard to blood trail for the average "opening day" hunter.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »
edit...double post
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 02:28:38 AM »
I would be careful taking parts of "found" dead game animals. Sawing just the horns to use for crafts or rattling may be one thing, but cutting out a skull plate to have a trophy could get you in trouble. Every State has their own laws, but I can think of few where you could just blatently saw a trophy from a "found' deer and take it home.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:14 AM »
bilmac,

DNA testing is expensive, but that is the best way to get a conviction. Dallas Safari Club supports Operation Game Thief (http://www.ogttx.com/) which provided a grant that helped fund the equipment for TPWD’s forensics lab to achieve accreditation.

Personally I would call the people we are talking about poachers and not hunters.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 03:38:29 AM »
You are assuming the deer was shot for it's rack only. Altho this could be, it could also be that someone else found the dead deer before the neighbor kid and didn't want the rack to go to waste like the meat did

You are right. It could have been just like you said. I did go out this morning to look at the deer. Unfortunately it is not where I thought it was. I am going to get a hold of the boy and go back.

The part that bugs me the worst is I know several people around here. I know how some of them hunt. I was also informed a LEO made the comment"I wish they would kill them all" referring to poachers spot lighting. He said it takes up to much time with all the vehicle deer collisions, not to mention the damage to vehicles and crops in the area.

Mohawk
 The picts are of a deer skelleton minus the skull cap. fur looks to have been removed by scavengers. Neighbor boy found it where we hunt.

Lonny

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 04:53:48 AM »
I don't see how the DNA testing would work. Yea I know they can match samples from the remains of the deer to the antlers. But I don't think a taxidermist can legally mount antlers that don't have a tag on them.
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 05:29:44 AM »
Oh they have a tag all right, some folks think the tag is for a set of horns and kind of forget to bring the meat home too. A real problem in Wyo is a big chunk of wilderness next to Yellowstone park called the thoroughfare. They do a thing called a quick pack there. You always have time and resources to get a huge set of elk antlers out, but can't be bothered with any more meat than the loins and hams. That may be enough to get you by the law if you know the right lawyer. 

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 06:22:06 AM »
I've done this once on a buck that I left overnight to track in the morning.  When I found the buck the next day the coyotes had helped themselves to half of the deer.  I tagged, took the head, and went to find a doe for the freezer.  I did move the carcass to my property do no one would find it and wonder about poachers.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 12:40:14 PM »
But I don't think a taxidermist can legally mount antlers that don't have a tag on them

Yes sir they can. Indiana does not tag on the antlers. They tag leg.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 01:07:41 PM »
Well it wouldn't work in Ohio. We have temporary tags that we put on the deer (antler for a buck, and leg or ear for a doe).  Then we take it to a check station to get a permanent metal tag put on.  And the head has to be on the deer when you check it in.  So you couldn't just kill one cut its head off and then go check it in.  The only way to take a deer like that and mount it in Ohio would be to do it yourself.     
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 01:23:20 PM »
Every State has their own rules.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 01:33:30 PM »
Very true. And it's a damn shame that a few jackasses out there have to break them and give the rest of us a bad name.  In no way do I consider those people to be hunters...not even "trophy hunters".  They are poachers and nothing more.
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
  We found a nice 9 point on our property a couple of years ago. Appeared to have been shot with an arrow. I'm guessing hunters on the adjacent ranch had shot it and didn't want to cross our fence line, if it was killed legally. All our neighbors have our phone numbers but nobody called and asked to continue their tracking. Of course, I would have allowed them. Would have even helped them look. That was a shame.

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
Last year about a week before gun season opened I was checking my deer stands, I was just walking and looking for rubs, when I walked up on a pile of white deer hair, I walked about 25 yards and found a big dead 8-point buck, the coyotes had got to him bad but he had a arrow in him it was broke off, I don't know who shot the buck or where it came from but it was a waste of a great deer, I walked back to the barn and got a saw and cut the rack off, this is not the first time I have found bow shot deer.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »
  I have found a few bow losses while being on property. Heck, I wouldn't have minded if they had sneaked across my fence to get their game. I probably would have asked what was going on..and once they told me they are tracking a wounded deer, then cool, lets go find it. At least they showed an effort to retrieve it. They are doing the right thing. After living half my life on venison, it is a shame to waste it. Sportsmanship doesn't end at the fenceline. It we have land we are mostly sportsman too. Just call us, or knock at our door, or at least pull to the main gate and honk. We'll help you find your deer. I may need their help one day....

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 08:47:25 PM »
Back in the early 70's a friend of my wife's (ex wife now) wanted to know if I would take her boyfriend hunting. O.K. well give it a try. Got to a nice spot (met him there) he tells me he's a trophy hunter and only gonna keep the head and horns. Told him if he dint leave right then I was gonna have my first "Hunting Accident". I had already gotten my deer for the season.

Gun Runner

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 05:25:12 AM »
that sucks...
could have been an honest event like some of the others referred to

I shot two deer Thursday am about 30 min after sunrise and it was around 30 degrees, so, they were fine where they were
normally, I will field dress within 30 minutes, but about an hour after sunrise we decided to take a drive around the property
got sort of sidetracked and came back about 2 hrs later and saw buzzards!
arg
all I felt comfortable salvaging were the backstraps, cut the heads off and tagged them
made my dad and I both sick about the loss of the rest of the deer
just a spike and a doe but the loss of the meat just felt morally wrong and I sure won't repeat that mistake ever again.
they were both up under the trees and it didn't even occur to me about buzzards and there aren't many coyotes in the area

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 05:51:09 AM »
ttank0789

I was at a meeting once where a game warden talked about how they catch some of the poachers. He said that they will take DNA samples and store them away as evidence. When they run the testing is normally when they get a tip from someone or a taxidermist calls them about a suspicious trophy. Then they do the DNA testing to see if it matches. So the testing is more to get the conviction than to catch the poacher. Even though the deer is tagged sometimes they have lied about where, when, and by what means they took the deer. The DNA testing can prove that head came from a gun shot carcass that was found during bow season.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »
 Well guys I took the neighbor boy out today and looked at the deer. It would appear someone MAY have dumped their carcas. Fur had been cut and peeled from the rear to the kneck, left attached to the kneck. 3 of the 4 legs were also there. So they may have kept the one leg with a tag.

There was a set of tracks where someone had pulled thru some deep grass up to the spot where the deer was.

I may have jumped the gun on my accusation. But I will still try to find out who got it. We live next door to the general store(yep a real one like the old days) The property is about 3/4 mile away. So if it was a nice rack they possibly would have or will brag about it. Oh yeah, my wife works there and checks deer in :)

Hopefully I am wrong and it was all inocent, dont know yet. But with some of the knuckle heads around here who knows.

Lonny

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »
  Yes, Lonny, there are knuckleheads!!!! I was walking our private road one day last summer bringing water to the water troughs and found two .30 Carbine cases. Nobody I know hunts or even owns a .30 Carbine at our ranch. This was about 50yds before our main gate so I suspect road hunters.