Author Topic: The accu - wedge  (Read 1209 times)

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
The accu - wedge
« on: November 08, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »
Most of you avid AR shooters have probably heard of the accu-wedge.  I was just wondering how many have tried using one, how many still use them, and how well they work (or not).

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: The accu - wedge
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »
It really depends on the gun. The bigger the gap the more it helps. A good rule of thumb, if you can physically create play between top and bottom, you need one. My .17 that shot .33 groups went to .19(single hole). My m4 went from 1.2 to .8. It just allows the bore to return to the same point each time.
This is a rock river, which is one of the better lowers. The uppers are a mix but all fit well. I have two uppers that it did not help or hurt. The bonus is a recoil buffer if you do not have one already on your buffer tube. I got marginal performance with three other uppers. So for the few bucks midway is selling them for it can't hurt to pick up the less wear and tear aspect of the recoil buffer and maybe squeeze a bit of accurasy out of it.
Molon labe

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:52:33 AM »
If you have such problems either make proper repairs of send the failed parts back to the manufacturer for replacement.  This is nothing but a band-aid repair that no self respecting gun owner would even consider.

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:01:55 AM »
 I disagree OS, every Ar-15 has some degree of gap between top and bottom for reliable cycling, not a design flaw. A quality AR has a gap of .015".
  Anything to keep the upper and lower meshed together during battery is a plus. Everyone who competes on a profesional level I have heard of or seen, uses a wedge in the back and an O ring on the front pin.
Molon labe

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:53:05 AM »
I use one on mine. It's a DPMS lower with a Bushmaster upper and 16" heavy barrel. Gap and play between the two is non-existent. I don't know that it helped the accuracy but it does provide a recoil buffer for the buffer and lower receiver. It also just makes the gun feel more solid when I fire it. For a couple bucks it's not hurting anything.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
I disagree OS, every Ar-15 has some degree of gap between top and bottom for reliable cycling, not a design flaw. A quality AR has a gap of .015".
  Anything to keep the upper and lower meshed together during battery is a plus. Everyone who competes on a profesional level I have heard of or seen, uses a wedge in the back and an O ring on the front pin.

Of the ARs I own there isn't one of them that even comes remotely close to having a .015 gap.  Yes I've seen many that actually rattled but they are a far cry from anything quality.  I know of no competitive shooters willing to tolerate such inconsistencies.  For off the rack weapons Rock River has proven to have the best lock up of any but they can all be correctly fit and should be without gimmicks like wedges, eccentric pins and the like.  Like I said, the wedge is a band-aid repair.  If that is the best you can do in most cases it may get you by. 

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »
If you have such problems either make proper repairs of send the failed parts back to the manufacturer for replacement.

I havent had any problems and there are definitely no failed parts that need returned.  My AR is capable of producing sub MOA groups as is.  I was just wondering if they improve accuracy at all.  That being said, I think I'll try one next time I'm out shooting.  Thanks all for the input!

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 03:17:41 AM »

[/quote]
Of the ARs I own there isn't one of them that even comes remotely close to having a .015 gap.  Yes I've seen many that actually rattled but they are a far cry from anything quality.  I know of no competitive shooters willing to tolerate such inconsistencies.  For off the rack weapons Rock River has proven to have the best lock up of any but they can all be correctly fit and should be without gimmicks like wedges, eccentric pins and the like.  Like I said, the wedge is a band-aid repair.  If that is the best you can do in most cases it may get you by. 
[/quote]
OS, I won the 2005, 2006 and 2007 High Power Rifle National Championships at Camp Perry, OH. You are incorrect. Wedges are not band-aids. They were designed for NRA High Power. The rifle I won with is a custom Larue Tactical it used the wedge and O ring method as well. Larue's are set up tighter than Rock River's, I own both and many other brands. I have never heard of patching up a rifle, with these, then again I've never owned one that needed patching up. BTW that is a .015" is the width of a hair, very acceptable in a service rifle.
Molon labe

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 05:25:59 AM »
My lowers and uppers have always been the same brand.  I have used these in the past just for taking the play or wiggle out of the rifles. 

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:20:09 AM »
Well Bugflipper I see you edited your post after I copied your quote.  A .0015 gap may be acceptable but certainly not .015 as you originally stated.  If there is nothing wrong with such a gap then there is no reason for a repair.  Just shoot it as is.  Problem is there is a reason for the repair or no one would do it.  The term band-aid is therefore accurate.

BTW Larue offers some excellent equipment and I've certainly never seen anything they offer with as poor a fit as you're implying as being acceptable.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »
A buddy uses one in his DPMS and really likes it.  It tightened his groups up a bit.  I bought one for my Colt and there's not enough play to install it, so I'm not using one right now.  Maybe after things loosen up some more.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 06:06:25 PM »
I just put one in mine.  It was pretty tight before, and now its really tight.  I actually had to shave the wedge a little bit to make it fit.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it with the wedge in yet, but i'll post some results when i do.

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 06:39:10 PM »
What was editted? Larue specs are .005-.015. To measure gap you mount in vise and put 15# of upward pressure on the upper. Insert a feeler gauge and there you are.  OS I believe you are misinformed. Rock River has not proven to have the best lock up of any, Larue has. Eccentric Pins are also used in NRA high power. Not trying to be inflammatory. I have Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag Arms and Larue Tactical as sponsors for separate organizations. All are quality companies, if not I wouldn't compete with them(wouldn't be able to on this level). All have excellent QC and do not let junk go out the door. If you would like to continue this discussion please PM me so we will not detract any further from the OP.
Good Day
Molon labe

Offline LCR

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »
I have a question, I've never used the accuwedge, but would'nt the added pressure the wedge creates(which is how it tightens the fit) cause accelerated wear on the receiver pin holes(being aluminum), therefore making the problem much worse when the wedge is removed?
The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 05:04:58 AM »
Obviously I dont have any experience with AccuWedges just yet, but I would think that they would prevent excess wear by keeping the pins from moving around at all.

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
I had to shave some  off of mine too.

Offline gofish

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 02:44:26 AM »
I have a colt HBAR rifle frome the colt custom shop. It came with one installed. WHY???,But it helps shooting a tight group at longer ranges.

can't spell very well but shoot ok!

gofish