Author Topic: 221 Fireball  (Read 816 times)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
221 Fireball
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:37:27 PM »
Hi, I would like to know if and or how I could get a barrel in 221 fireball. Can you rechamber a 22 Hornet? I think the Hornet cart. is .002 longer than the Fb.??? Also I don't know the twist rates of either cart. Can about any "Gunsmith" rechamber Handis? I have rifles and reload for both carts. Would love to have Handis to shoot them in. Thanks for any help.

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 221 Fireball
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:52:03 PM »
Rechambering a hornet barrel shouldn't be a problem. Just exchange the extractor for a 223 one after getting it rechambered, and you should be good to go. A 1-12" twist hornet barrel will be fine for the 221. I have thought about doing one as well, but am too far in other projects to be able to afford one right now. HTH, Billy

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »
It would be an easy thing to do, I've done a lot of .17 FB's from the .17 barrels and some stub .17 barrels.  Only thing is you only get one chance to cut the chamber, if you go too deep you are SOL.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:44:12 AM »
I rechambered my Hornet to the 221 Fireball, its easy to rechamber and mine shoots great.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:16:50 AM »
Where would I get a 223 extractor. I think I read somewhere about "renting"???? chamber reamers in this forum. Not sure if I'm right about this. I'm wanting to get a hornet barrel and if rechambering to Fb. would work I'd just get two. I think the 22" barrels would be better. I think you can only get them with sights which I can no longer see and prefer scopes anyway. I guess you just take the sights off then have to buy scope rail and ham. ext. It sounds like some of you Handi doctors preform these procedures yourselves. I took H.S. metal shop but was over 3 decades ago. I liked it but was no machinist. There are a couple of "Gunsmiths" around here and probably more. Any ideas on who would, could do this correctly and approx. cost? Thanks for any help, I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years. Love my baby black rifles. B.T.W. what are stub barrels.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
Welcome bigvarmnt!  Stubbing is covered in detail in the FAQs and Help sticky, a good place for Handi newbies to spend lots of time reading.  ;) The 223 extractor can only be purchased from H&R at this time, but if you end up with an older ejector barrel, the ejector can be bought from Brownell's online. Reamers can be rented from several rental sources, but I'd leave that up to the gunsmith as the Hornet to Fireball isn't one you'd want to do by hand, it should be done on a lathe.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 08:40:23 AM »
Thanks Tim! I'll check the FAQs, probably lots of goodies there. Mike

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
I rechambered my Hornet to the 221 Fireball, its easy to rechamber and mine shoots great.
I had posted a new topic about this and got directed here. So, how about telling us the what, when, why, and how much for the rechamaber and the parts? Thx.

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 01:37:50 PM »
I purchased my reamer and ejector from Brownells.   I set the barrel up in my lathe with a steady rest, so that I would stay centerd and I hand reamed the chamber untill my chamber gauge was flush with the end of the barrel.  The reason I decided to rechamber a Handi Rifle is I like the 221 Fireball. I have two that are Thompsons and I thought it would be nice to have one in a Handi.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
Please ,,,Don't even get me started on this again!! Two 44's, a 223, and a Leupold scope in the last month. I can't afford this right now. Well,,, maybe in a couple weeks. :'(You guys are just evil. MEAN and EVIL. I'm telling my wife.
NO better not! What she don't know won't hurt me. :D

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »
I purchased my reamer and ejector from Brownells.   I set the barrel up in my lathe with a steady rest, so that I would stay centerd and I hand reamed the chamber untill my chamber gauge was flush with the end of the barrel.  The reason I decided to rechamber a Handi Rifle is I like the 221 Fireball. I have two that are Thompsons and I thought it would be nice to have one in a Handi.
Brilliant Booyah, thanks for the quick overview.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »
Still didn't hear what the current prices are for a rechamber.
Tim, what does Wayne York charge now?
I have three barrels I want done whenever I get around to it.

1- 22 Hornet to 221FB
2- 30-30 to 307
3- 45-70BC to 120

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »
His standard rechamber fee is $100.  ;)

Tim

http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/id13.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain