Author Topic: Off center fireing pin  (Read 415 times)

Offline kgarner

• Trade Count: (0)
Off center fireing pin
« on: December 22, 2008, 05:29:44 AM »
How do correct a firing pin that is off center.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Off center fireing pin
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 05:33:35 AM »
nearly all are off center some.  Is it high, low, left or rignt?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:10:42 AM »
Does it go Bang when you pull the trigger? If so, leave it alone.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Westbound

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »
install a rimfire barrel  :P

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:36:11 AM »
Don't worry about it, I have a bunch that are off center, some by a lot, but they shoot just fine, no different than those that are centered or just a little off center. as I posted before when you brought this issue up in another thread, my .444 has off center strikes and is one of the most consistently accurate H&Rs I own.  I suppose the anvil configuration on some primers might be a problem for a really off center pin strike, if they are, just don't use those primers!! ;D I'd say not following thru with trigger pull would be more to blame for inconsistent accuracy.  If it's off center bad enough to cause misfires, H&R will replace the barrel. ;)

Tim

Check the firing pin if it is off center very much it will cause erratic groups.Please let us know if it is off center.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kgarner

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
I  don't have a problem with misfires. I just can not get it to group. I have tried all the F.A.Q.s three scopes and several bullets and powders. I still get 6-8inch patterns at 100 yds. I have shot factory and reloads. The rifle is a 2006 model N.E.F. 223 bull barrel. Thanks for any help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 09:50:05 AM »
If the Handi Basics 101 didn't help, it sounds like one that needs to go back to H&R for repair, their standard is 2" or less at 100yds with factory ammo.  ;) Be patient trying to get them on the phone tho, most report having to wait 10-20 minutes on hold, but middle of the week  would the best time to call, maybe not this week tho, be sure to ask them to cover shipping too.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kgarner

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 10:01:51 AM »
Thanks much Tim. Merry Christmas to you and all the others on here.! :) :) :) :)

Offline towpro

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »
I  don't have a problem with misfires. I just can not get it to group. I have tried all the F.A.Q.s three scopes and several bullets and powders. I still get 6-8inch patterns at 100 yds. I have shot factory and reloads. The rifle is a 2006 model N.E.F. 223 bull barrel. Thanks for any help.

First thing I would do is see what twist rate you have in that barrel.  I hear there was 2 different rates that changed some time in the recent past.  You might need to shoot a lighter bullet.