Author Topic: Fake NRA phone calls  (Read 740 times)

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Fake NRA phone calls
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »
I keep getting calls from 703-291-9022 and my on screen shows it as from NRA
Have had a hangup couple times and other times just a fax tone. 703 area code is in Virginia. NRA knows nothing about this. I am the donot call list but still get them.

Gun

Offline Oldtimer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fake NR phone calls
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 02:57:49 AM »
The 703 area code is the right one for Fairfax, Virginia, where the NRA headquarters are located.  One of my daughters used to live about a mile from Waples Mill Road, where the NRA building is, and her fiance had realatives working there.  If someone is calling pretending to be the NRA, then they may be phishing and trying to get financial information from you.

The do-not-call list does not keep companies that you have done business with from calling you, or their business partners.  Also, political and charitable organizations are  exempt.  Still, it is better than not being on the list. 

What really frosts my cake is the companies that send out fax messages.  Not only do they waste your time, they also use up your ink and paper.  One company may have a number of phone operations, and each one has to be notified individually to stop them sending you faxes.  On the other hand, if you document that they continue to send you faxes after you have notified them not to, it is possible to collect from them for each incident, or they have to pay a fine to the FCC.  I kept a log for our volunteer fire department for a while, but was not able to catch anyone, darn it. It would have been easier money than having to do another fund raiser.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: Fake NR phone calls
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 08:08:49 AM »
One of the things my caller I D has is I can auto. disconnect the caller after 2 rings.
This was great during the election campain. With this outfit that is calling tryed a reverse check on them and all I got was no info avail. Have never talked to anyone at this nr. like I said if I ans. the phone its either a hangup or fax tone. To bad its not a toll free nr. its comming from, could cost them a fortune by having everyone call that nr.

Gun Runner

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Fake NRA phone calls
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:27:38 AM »
You're not alone.  Check the link.

http://www.whocalled.us/lookup/7032919022