Author Topic: Sig 556 range report  (Read 576 times)

Offline TexSabre

• Trade Count: (0)
Sig 556 range report
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:20:59 AM »
I don’t know if anybody is interested but here is my shooting/range report on my new Sig 556.

I’ve had a Colt AR heavy barrel and fired a bunch of ARs over the years and really have never had a problem with them.  Sweetest shooting of them all is my friends Wilson.  Iron sights @ 100yds I get groups of 30 in 5” with a big hole in the middle.  However I decided I wanted something with a gas piston/rod setup.

So, I got a Sig 556 and now that I have learned how to shoot the darn thing I like it a lot.  She likes the heavier bullets for tight groups but I think she does well with M193 ball too.  Not as pinpoint, but close enough to do the job.

Cleaning is really easy mostly case all the crap is in the gas tube which comes apart so you can get to it all.  After 500 to 600 rounds the bolt & carrier look unfired.  On mine I have an El cheap Holo sight that works good enough for now.  I’m thinking EoTech sometime after Christmas.

I started out shooting Barnal (sp?) 55gr and first zero was @ 50yds, then 100yds and I wasn’t at all happy with the groups.  Barrel is 1:7 twist so I bought some Black Hills 75gr MHP and wow she came right in.  At 200yds with Black Hills 75gr I’m getting sub 2” groups from a rest.  I like the trigger, not light but she trips clean and smooth.  I like shooting cans, so I put a bunch of them from 100yds to 200yds and let her rip.  Shooting from a standing position I didn’t hit every one of them first shot but if the target was about to shoot back I was close enough that most would have ducked.

Mags and mag well:
The Sig is amazing, I have some old cheap AR mags that in ARs will have many FTF, yet in the Sig they work fine.  Every mag I shove into her feeds with no problems.  Press the mag release and they just drop out.  No need to pull on them what so ever.

The Sig weights more in the front than an AR which I didn’t like at first but now I don’t care.  She is fun, hits the target, reliable and easy to clean.

The ARs, AKs, M1As are all good and so is the Sig.  Some say the Sig is the perfect blend of AR & AK and maybe they are correct.

Bill AKA TexSabre

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sig 556 range report
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »
I have heard that they are great rifles now ,they had some problems when they first came into the Country, but a lot of rifles had that.
People do not really compare them to an AR type rifle ,they are compared a lot to the Robinson XCR most of the time.
The reason i believe is that they are a Piston driven rifle from the ground up , of course the owners argue about who is better.
But the real people who test them side by side say they are both equal ,and the pros and cons are neck in neck.
I have never shot one of the new 556 rifles ,but i have shot my XCR right beside a guy who was shooting a Sig.
They are both very good rifles , and in today's world if you have either you are lucky to have one.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:06:31 AM »
If you presently have a ar15 and want the operating rod platform.. They are availabe to fit most ars.. Bushmaster makes one as well as a couple others. for $399 if memory serves. I wish someone would do one and post accuracy and reliability issues before and after!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:27:31 AM »
ive heard alot of good things about them and a little bad. So they have to be a good gun
blue lives matter