Author Topic: I am ticked!! FFL issue  (Read 6639 times)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: I am ticked!! FFL issue
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 03:18:23 AM »
when  bill klinton  took  office  we had
270 thousand dealers
when he left office we had
70  thousand dealers

i  know one dealer that had to fix sheetrock  to get renewed
[building code violation]

i  had to furnish minutes from a county commission meeting  in  1984
zoning violation....had to proove  a zoning variance

we  will  be regulated  away  not  direct  confrontation
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Bossloper

• Trade Count: (66)
  • Contributor
  • Veteran USAF
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »
I just had a handgun shipped to me in Maine and learned a lot.  UPS stores are franchises and can have their own rules & regs regarding the shipping of firearms, and most don't due to liability issues.  That said, you can mail a firearm (handgun or long gun) through UPS, but you have to go to a UPS Customer Service Hub to do it. 

One of the downers about both UPS & FedEx, is that they may ask you to see a copy of the FFL to verify the shipping address.  They both say this on their websites, and will likely refuse to ship it if you cannot produce a FFL with the same shipping address if you're asked.  FFL holders can ship handguns to other FFL holders via USPS, but they have to fill out a form and file it with their local post office.   

I thought I was saving money because I have an friend with an FFL, and he doesn't charge me for transfers and such, instead he makes me do all the paperwork (mine & his) as well as call it in.  The handgun mentioned above came from Nebrask so I had the guy mail it overnight to my friend via UPS with insurance.  Cost $69.  Turns out that the local gunshop there in NE would have done it for $60 which was cheaper than the $69 I paid.  Moral of the story - It's cheaper for FFL's to send to each other through USPS, so find one and build a really good working relationship.  :-)
Life Member NAHC, TU
NRA & Outdoor Educator
Hunter Ed. Instructor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 08:47:52 AM »
UPS has no requirement for proving the recipient is an FFL that I could see. The only USPS form required for an FFL to fill out is the 1508 which takes about a minute to complete.  ;)  http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

Tim

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=firearms

Shipping Firearms
Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

* Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
    * UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
    * UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
    * Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
    * Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
    * UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements

* Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
    * Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.
    * Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

About Documentation and Labeling

* The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

* You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
    * When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
    * You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
    * See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline paul stu

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
Im an FFL and will be happy to receive a gun from a non-FFL as long as they provide me with some ID with a good address, thats the LAW. This dealer only to dealer stuff is nonsence! Just think about it, if a man walks into your store and says I want to sell this gun, do you say sorry fella, "your not a FFL dealer soo I cant buy it from you"?

Neither will mine and neither will I. I accept and ship only FFL to FFL. Ya might recall that for such a LOOOOONG time the RULES here at GBO read that you understood all firearms transactions were to be handled that way?