Author Topic: Pietta 1858 Remington  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Longknife 76

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Pietta 1858 Remington
« on: January 24, 2009, 06:23:39 AM »
Hi, I just purchased a pietta 1858 remington, 44 cal revolver. It has the "ivory" grips. It also has a "fluted"  cylinder. I had never seen one like this. I researched this and found that Remington did infact produce a "fluted" cyl. model. taken from Flaydermans:

REMINGTON RIDER Double action New Model Belt Revolver c. 1863 to 1873 in percussion and metalic carts. Total Quanity 5,000.
Percussion 36 cal. six shot round cyl. 6 1/2 incd oct barrel

FLUTED CYL. MODELS
Identical to above but with didtinctive full fluted cyl. generally found on low ser. numbered specimens
Estimated at a few hundred produced.

Well its not an EXACT copy but I was just wondering when Pietta made this model, I am usualy up on these things but I don't recall ever seeing this model....THANKS,ED

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Pietta 1858 Remington
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »
Sounds like an interesting piece.  I'm assuming that you purchased this used?  I've never seen one at any gund shows, etc. that resemble what you are talking about.  If possible, could you post a photo of it?  With the different grips and fluted cylinder, it has to be a good looking pistol.  Thanks!  Hope somebody out there knows something about it as it has peaked my inerest.  Have a good one!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
Li\ongknife 76 - Google the "Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association" - on their home page, click on "Models - Non Colt Manufacture" - listing will be on the left hand side of the home page - under that classification, they show a phot of a 1858 Remington New Model Army with a full fluted cylinder and white grips - probably the same one as you have.  You might drop them an e-mail and maybe they can fill you in on the information you are seeking.  For others who read this, check them out as there are some nice photos of individual replica revolvers, cased sets, etc.  Good luck!  Jim
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Offline Longknife 76

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:19:59 AM »
Bedbugbilly, Yes I purchased it second hand but never fired. It just hung on the wall for several years. It is identical to the gun on the "RPRCA" website. Interesting thing though, they have it listed as being a "correct" replica and my research reveals that is not so. ( see previous post) I E-Mailed them to find out....Ed

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:27:08 AM »
Ed - I hope you'll post what you find out about it - it's an interesting piece even if it is or isn't "correct".  It's a great looking pistol!  Thanks! Jim

Offline Longknife 76

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:22:23 AM »
Here is the reply from "RPRCA"

Flaydermans doesn't always list every variation of every revolver.  The Remington replicas on the market, both past and present, have many variations due to manufacturing processes used by the various manufacturers.  You are correct about the Full Fluted Cylinder.  I list it among the Historically Correct because it represents a Remington Fluted Cylinder design of an original double action revolver that a replica of which has never been produced.  We make this designation in the book yet to be published.   The Remington Beals is another replica that is not completely correct but it is as close to the original as possible.  The recognition of the Beals replica was unknown until the early 1990's.  It was continually marketed as a Remington 1858 New Model Army.  Even this designation is incorrect but it is what is known.  I was one of the very first collectors to recognize this and named it "Remington Beals Army" and "Remington Beals Navy" for purposes of our book and collectors.  I also now designate the Remington 1858 New Model Army as "Remington New Model Army" since the year designation is also historically incorrect.  The Remington 1858 New Model Army got it's name from the fact that the 1858 patent date is on the barrel.  In reality the replicas that are currently being manufactured is an 1863 variation of the original 1858 model.

After RCRPA e-mailed me I realized that I had purchased a Rem 31 cal pocket revolver, nickeled,  from him a month or so ago. The gentlemans Name is Jim Davis and he runs a very nice firearms museum in Claremore OK. If any body gets out that way  be sure to stop, its a days worth of lookn'...Ed

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »
Ed - Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated.  I've never met Mr. Davis but we did spend a night in that town on our way out to Arizona where we winter.  We didn't have the time to visit the museum but I understand that it is really something to see.  Hopefully on one of our trips back and forth from Michigan to Arizona we'll be able to fit it in.  His museum has a great reputation and if someone is interest in guns, it's a "must see".  If I'm not mistaken, Will Rogers has a connection with that town as well.  Thanks again!  Jim

Offline Longknife 76

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »
Billy, Yes The Davis museum is a must see, how can you pass through that town without stopping??? Maybe your WIFE was with you, HUH????? Yes there is also a Will Rogers musem there, it's also very interesting!!!(she might like it)..Ed