Author Topic: quick release ring and base system  (Read 536 times)

Offline lawson

• Trade Count: (1)
quick release ring and base system
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »
If you had to make a decision between the talley and the leupold QR system which one would you choose? 

Thanks

Brad

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: quick release ring and base system
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:18:30 PM »
Warne

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »
Yep, Warne here too.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 05:56:37 AM »
Talley because they're lighter than the Warnes. Leupold over the Warnes for the same reason. I would not get the lever type rings. I'd get the type you need a screw driver fto remove the scope but that's my preference.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline lawson

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 03:05:53 PM »
Warne is out of the question because I am not a fan of the weaver base.  Between the Leupold and the Talley which one consistantly returns closer to zero?

Thanks

Offline hogrdr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »
Never tried any others but can't complain about my Leupold QR. Never considered QR till I got Encore Muzzy needed to swap scopes for different state laws. Some no scope some 1X and others have what you want! Few times I switched from 1X to my 3X9 no adjustment needed for zero.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:56:08 AM »
I too do not care for the weaver and QR style rings. They aren't the best at holding zero...

BUT I do like the Leupold QR base and rings setup. I have it on two of my muzzle loaders. As Hogrdr said, some states I hunt, do not allow magnified scopes and it allows me to remove and retain zero.
 I also have it on a 1895 Marlin. I don't really care for scopes on levers, that's what bolts are made fore. (IMHO)  But this allows for a quick removal and not worrying about zero. They have worked very well, everytime I check them after removal, they are easily within acceptable distance to hit what I am aiming at.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/mounting-systems-and-accessories/mounting-systems/qr-mounts/

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.