Author Topic: Anti-Gun Group Sues to Stop Concealed Weapons in Federal Parks  (Read 408 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Anti-Gun Group Sues to Stop Concealed Weapons in Federal Parks
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:06:27 PM »

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

WASHINGTON -- An anti-gun group is suing to stop a last-second Bush administration change that would allow Americans to carry concealed, loaded guns in most national parks and wildlife refuges.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sued the Interior Department in federal court on Tuesday.

They want a federal judge to stop the elimination of a 25-year-old federal rule severely restricting loaded guns in national parks.

The previous regulation required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as inside a car trunk. But in January, visitors will be able to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge if the person has a concealed weapon permit and if state law also allows concealed firearms.

I expect a lot more of this. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anti-Gun Group Sues to Stop Concealed Weapons in Federal Parks
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »
I can't say I'm surprised.  IMO it's better to fight this now, before an Obama appointee is on the court.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:00:54 AM »
For anyone writing to Congress, urging their state government to file court briefings, or any other purpose, being able to carry a gun in a national park is a safety issue.  In Alaska and several other states, brown bears are a serious threat, and despite what vendors of anti-bear repellent and their agents may say, the best and most reliable defense is a firearm in the hands of a good shooter.  Also, at least here in Alaska, traversing national parks is a necessary component of travel within the state, whether on snowmobile, ATV, boat, foot or other off-highway modes.

I certainly agree that hunters and gun owners must now go on the offensive politically on every front.  The Brady Campaign is very much energized by the 2008 election results.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
we must renew the fight conservitive america has lost it's compass
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »
I don't understand some of these people.  There is absolutely no leg to stand on here.If there is anywhere that we need CCW, it is in lonely, romote places.

I get people in my CCW class every week who have OBAMA bumper stickers o n their cars.  I can't understand it.  they say thing like "Bush Lied", and "We can't stand four more years of this kind of economy", but they ignore the stated goals of the liberal party that would enslave us, take our guns, and all manner of other things.  they are gambling that Obama woill somehow improve the economy.  Strange.