Author Topic: Buffalo Classic and Handi Rifle use same action .  (Read 581 times)

Offline Jacko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Buffalo Classic and Handi Rifle use same action .
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »
I was wondering if the Buffalo Classic and the Handi Rifle rifles used the same action ? I know the Buffalo Classic action is colour case hardened and the Handi rifles action is blued . Is the Buffalo Classic action stronger , have tighter tolerances or generally the same as the Handi Rifle ?

In Aussie dollar terms I am trying to decide $580 for a Synthetic Handi Rifle in 357 magnum or $880 for the Buffalo Classic CR-45LC . If they share the same action I see no point in the extra $300 and will sink this into some reloading gear for the 357 magnum .

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, "You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."

Charles Darwin

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo Classic and Handi Rifle use same action .
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
The BC frame is the same identical SB2 frame as the Handi and Ultra, it has fake case coloring, that's why they call it "antique" case color hardened, the frame is actually modern heat treated alloy, it doesn't have the vivid coloring of real color case hardened metal, the butt plate does have the nicer case coloring tho.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jacko

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
Beauty Tim , thats what I suspected

How does a Synthetic 357 mag Handi and a 1 to 5 power Leopold sound , reloading gear can wait I will save up my factory cases to start with and I have some 38 special cartridges . The rifle likely will be a few more weeks before the latest shipment is available , might come close to having the cash for reloading gear then - off to see the local gunshop toomorrow and put down some cash .

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, "You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."

Charles Darwin

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:51:32 AM »
Sounds like a great set up.  I like the 357 so much, I've got 3 of them.  'Course, I also have the 45 BC too so you may have to pick one up later ;D.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:54:13 AM »
Thanks! If you want a light carry rifle, the synthetic stock set is the way to go, it's the lightest of all stocks, but if you find you don't care for it, you can always swap stocks, ALL stocks will fit the SB1 or SB2 frame.  ;) Mine has a set of straight lams with a scout mounted pistol scope for something different.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 06:24:40 AM »
At that big of a $$ differance go with the 357 for more bang you can most likey use 360DW out of it but you'll have to check your chamber first .My chamber is so long I can trim 357max brass just a little and it works well. I love my 45colt and it is my favorite pistol cal right now but for $300 that would change.The Leopold and syn sound like a great bunch of fun. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 06:35:33 AM »
 :o
 Mate,I feel the pain! I thought we were paying a lot for stuff in Canada, but nothing like you guys( err blokes) put out.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Jacko

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:43:48 AM »
Appreciate the "blokes"comment , pet hate of mine - ::)fighting with my kids to say blokes instead of guys and if they must abuse there school mates please calling them - drongo's , nong's , twits , dills or galah's - not sound like a gangstar rapper :'( . Such wonderfull Aussie terms instead of American terms - Not that there is anything wrong with guy's but this is Australia  ;D-

I am looking forward to my first day's shooting with the new rifle . Another few hundred fps behind a bullit is Handi if the chamber will accept 360DW. If the rifle turns out to have a over long chamber if there going to be any fouling issues with deposits of crud or maring of the chamber if I mix the calibres around , subsonic bunny busting 38 specials , then a pig cops a wallop from a full house 357 , potential accuracy issues with a jump to the lands or does the Handi digest it all pretty well with only minor attention needed . Probably in the faq'a but I like chatting to you folks .

regards Jacko

Charles Darwin

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »

Jacko, Welcome to the wonderful world of Handi's, and GBO forums.
 Come on back any time you can, I enjoy you Blokes talk of down under.
 Good shooting, Marv. in Texas by God

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »
Mine digests anything, up to the 360 DW rounds.  And I load them a bit long to get near the lands.  The only differences are that the 38 loads hit to a much different point of impact than the 357 or 360 loads.  About 3 inches or so low at 50 yds.  Surprisingly, the 158 gr.  357 mags and the 180 gr. 360 DW loads hit to almost the same point.  And yes, the dreaded crud ring does appear if you shoot a bunch of 38's and then go to longer rounds.  A quick brush between changes eliminates the problem, though.  And it does take a bunch of them to make the ring appear, a few at a time pose no real problem.

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
The crud ring from a shorter round is always a concern.  I prefer to just use the same full length brass case, but I play around & dedicate one bullet to being my high velocity hunting load & one as my plinking/squib load.  Since you're talking about investing in the reloading stuff, you'll easily have the means to find something that will work - can you get "Unique" powder down under?  One look at the slug sticking out of the case should tell you which load it is (i.e. a jacketed for the "business" load, a lead swc slug for the "bunny" load).  Seated out near the throat is almost always going to shoot better.  Shouldn't be any reason not to be able to get a subsonic "38" load even in a 357 Max chamber (& brass) if you open it up later.

Those scopes with the Mil-Dot reticles make that a bunch easier if you do have a different points of impact. 

And of course you could still "spray" away with 38s if you just wanted to hear it go bang.