Author Topic: NEF .38/.357 Accuracy problems...  (Read 975 times)

Offline redfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF .38/.357 Accuracy problems...
« on: December 29, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »
I have an NEF in .38/.357 and I am having accuracy problems with jacketed bullets.  I am using Trailboss powder with jacketed bullets from 125g to 158g Rem. and Gold Dot and not getting good accuracy, but when I try SWC/HP and SWC lead bullets I get good accuracy.  I am wondering about other shooters results??  Thanks in advance - Colonel redfeather.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: NEF .38/.357 Accuracy problems...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »
You probably need to slug your barrel, I am guessing that your bore may be a little oversize, Most jacketed bullets are .357 dia lead tends to run .358 to .359. probably fitting your bore better. You may also want to try heavier 180gr XTPs or something simular.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »
IMR doesn't recommend Trailboss with jacketed bullets and is the reason they offer only cast bullet data for it, it was developed for cowboy action shooting with lead bullets only, so it's no surprise it doesn't work well with jacketed bullets.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:57:04 PM »
IMR doesn't recommend Trailboss with jacketed bullets....so it's no surprise it doesn't work well with jacketed bullets.

Bingo, I use alot of Trailboss, with cast bullets and get very good accuracy with it in everything from my 22 hornet to my 500 S&W.  I would be looking for a different powder if you are wanting to shoot jacketed bullets.  H110 maybe or Lil Gun?
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »
I agree, I do not think Trail Boss is the right powder for your jacketed bullets. Try some H110 or W296. If that does not work, then some IMR 4227, Lil'Gun or 2400. If that don't work, I would think it would be a perfect candidate for a ream job to 357 Max. My 357 shot better after I reamed it. 125 grain jacketed bullets work well as long as I do not push them very hard - around 2200 - 2300 fsp. If I push them any harder, they start going all over the place. I read that the jackets are so thin on a 125 bullet that they start distorting when they hit the rifling. Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 11:47:46 PM »
IMR doesn't recommend Trailboss with jacketed bullets and is the reason they offer only cast bullet data for it, it was developed for cowboy action shooting with lead bullets only, so it's no surprise it doesn't work well with jacketed bullets.  :-\

Tim

BINGO!!  I agree with the other guys posting above. Try some other powders and see what happens.

What velocities are you wanting?  For med velocitys try unique and for the hot stuff H110. 296, 2400 and lilgun.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:38:46 AM »
Trail Boss and lead bullets (recipes emulating a BP velocity) shoot nice groups.  Even downloaded for gallery loads - nice groups.
Spec's:
Barrel - 28" with a 1:18 rifling twist
•   Bore – 0.373 and 0.379 grooves (factory)
•   Actual: 0.374 and 0.378 (Mine)
A 375 jacketed bullet ... too small of a diameter to seat in the grooves

Regards
John Boy

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 07:56:11 AM »
Trail Boss and lead bullets (recipes emulating a BP velocity) shoot nice groups.  Even downloaded for gallery loads - nice groups.
Spec's:
Barrel - 28" with a 1:18 rifling twist
•   Bore – 0.373 and 0.379 grooves (factory)
•   Actual: 0.374 and 0.378 (Mine)
A 375 jacketed bullet ... too small of a diameter to seat in the grooves

Is this info for a 38/55??

Spanky

Offline redfeather

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 09:10:51 AM »
Okay...
Thanks for the great info...
I felt like the Trailboss and all lead cast bullets were seating in the grooves better = better accuracy...
If I wanted to shoot/try jacketed bullets at sub-sonic speeds less than 1050fps is the Unique the better powder??
I am wanting to keep this rifle quiet for close wet work...
Is anyone else having any success with jacketed bullets in their NEF in .38/.357??
If so what bullets and powder combo's are working??
Many thanks...colonel redfeather.

Offline PBLobber

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:31:19 PM »
Try a LBT 160gr flat nose. If you want to be quiet, you need a big pc of lead around 900fps. Try using Accurate#2 or Titegroup around 3.8gr and make sure you have enough velocity for acceptable ballistics and work up or down from there, one tenth at a time. I would use 38 special brass for more consistency with reduced loads. Another bullet that should not be overlooked for close range "pest" control is the 148 DEWC with 3.7gr. Another benefit of the faster powders in a rifle is NO FLASH! pop!

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 02:22:01 AM »
I have had some good luck with other powders , Though none compare to IMR 4227  and that with out a doubt would be my recommended powder to try in your 357 mag

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
Is this info for a 38/55??
Spanky ... Yes
Regards
John Boy

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »
SO, have you tried the new loads yet?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.