Author Topic: MSP Ret's 45/70 load  (Read 388 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
MSP Ret's 45/70 load
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:25:03 AM »
Okay Andy and assorted sports fans!   I picked up a pound of 2400 and a box of Hornady 350 gr. RNFP's today!  Soon's deer season is over me and my handi will ease a few over my 'graph fer ya!   ;D  I assume you want me to launch them from a 22 inch barrel don't cha Andy?
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: MSP Ret's 45/70 load
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »
I know it shoots good in my 22" Handi, but I haven't chrono'd it either, but for fun I just ran it through QuickLoad 3.4, it predicts a velocity of 1679fps at 26093psi using a COL of 2.55", it gets 1781fps in a 32" barrel, it will be interesting to see whatcha actually get, these figures are using the default bore dimensions and case capacity.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: MSP Ret's 45/70 load
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
Okay, I'll bring both barrels!   ;D  As you say, it'll be fun to compare the results with the QuickLoad predictions.

I checked LoadData real quick and they show one load; a Ruger level load that they rate as poor.

In a Ruger #1 with a 22 inch barrel, 45.0 gr. gave the Hornady 350 2,191 fps. over an Oehler #10.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club