Author Topic: Where would YOU go?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Where would YOU go?
« on: August 22, 2003, 07:19:38 AM »
I was told that my birthday/christmas present this year will be a hunting/fishing trip of my choice. The only restriction will be that I have a limit of $500 on the deal. I'm pretty much located in the middle of the continental US, so I could get about anywhere in no more than 2 days of driving. Well, I know I could backpack and flyfish in the Rocky Mountains and come home with money, or hog hunt in Texas or Oklahoma.  What would you all do or recommend? I'll be having as much fun figuring out what to do as I will going (well, maybe not quite). I'm looking forward to see what everyone else can come up with here.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Where to??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 08:41:37 AM »
flatlander - I would head straight for the Rockies.  I would bring a 22 rifle for smallgame for the cookpot, a big bore pistol/rifle for big game for the bbq, a fishing pole for anything I could fish that was edible, a couple of good bottles of brown water and still come back with some $ to take the wife out and thank her for the gift.  But that's just me.  Mikey.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
Where would YOU go?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 08:43:11 AM »
Hey good deal on the $500 bucks towards a hunting trip.
Tell us what types of hunts you have been on already or the ones you have no desire to do again. This way we can focus on those hunts that you may be willing to do.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Where would YOU go?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 10:30:44 AM »
I hunt deer and squirrels every year. Upland birds occasionally, waterfowl rarely anymore. I have hunted hogs with moderate success every couple of years or so (the last one we got skunked).  Haven't done exotics, antelope or anything bigger than deer. I've haven't tried prairie dogs, or any other varmints to speak of. The flyfishing in the Rockies is something I do rarely anymore also, but I sure enjoy it. I think that if I can roll something together with some fishing, that would be absolutely perfect. Anything else to consider? My wife is SO COOL! If the kids weren't so young, she'd be going with me.

Offline Big Hext Finnigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php
Where would YOU go?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 12:51:16 PM »
Howdy,

$500 is a generous amount from the family budget, especially with young kids.  Give her a big squeeze!

If you like duck and goose hunting, I'd look there.  You can book a one or two day hunt and not break your budget.  Since you hunt other game regularly, this is kind of a "break" and you can find different species using the same outfitter.  Like a flooded timber hunt for greenheads..

Good luck with your choice!  You made the right one with your wife.  
Adios,
But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.  - Edmund Burke

Offline nitehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
mostest for cheapest?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 12:49:07 PM »
flatlander, a flatlander here too. if twas me, colorado, tent camping with one hunting buddy to split gas, half priced leftover cow elk...$240. theyr' still available. tons of cows there, and lots of tags. whatever, have fun and good luck. :)

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
Where would YOU go?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 01:19:51 PM »
$500 bucks is a lot of money but unfortiniatly is does not go a long way for hunts. Exotics at a preserve would work. There are some good hog hunts in the south that that would be enough for. It would be enough for a 2 day guided deer hunt with an outfitter in PA. Enough for a 1 week unguided deer hunt in Maine. If you had more money to add to that then it would open up other options like an Antelope hunt out west or a bear hunt in Maine. It should be enough for a duck hunt in west Tenn around Reelfoot lake.

Just a few ideas that I know of. Other folks will have more from what they are familar with.

Good luck
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3