Author Topic: Number of cavities per bullet mold ?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Hammer1

• Trade Count: (0)
Number of cavities per bullet mold ?
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:46:14 PM »

For handgun bullets...

What is the optimum number of cavities in a bullet mold ?

See where most molds are 2-cavity. Mike Venturino seems to like 3-cavities. But there's a bunch of 4-cavity molds. Remember seeing some 6-cavity H&G molds.

Some folks keep two, some even three, molds running simultaneously managing the heating/cooling process. Don't know if this is with all molds identical as to bullet or if they're running one mold for 44 and another for 45 at the same time.

What ya'll think ?

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Number of cavities per bullet mold ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »
This has been my rule of thumb. I usually get 2 molds going at the same time. Both will be either cast, or aluminum. I figure, that way, their both going to stay at the same temperature. Not sure if you could get one iron and one aluminum going at the same time, as the aluminum mold would cool off, just a little faster than the iron mold, and might throw your timing off. I'm not sure if this true or not, as I've never tried it. Maybe somebody will enlighten us. As far as the number of cavity's per mold, all but my muzzleloader molds are 2 cavity, and they are one cavity.But I am casting for revolver and a couple of rifle calibers, gas checked design. I was more interested in quality, than quanity. But then, I'm not casting for my .45's/.40 or 9mm's. There are several casting company's that make pretty good bullets for the auto-loaders, and for what they charge per 1000, I have a hard time justifing my time, on a lube-sizer doing one bullet at a time. That might change in the not to distant future, what with metal price's going thru the roof. And if that happens, I'll probably try a Lee 6 cavity mold set up for tumble lubing. Time will tell.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:32:40 PM »
  Single cavity molds drive me crazy ! I have 1,2,4 and 6 cavity molds, the 2 holers get the most use . The 6 hole molds are aluminum,cast iron is just to heavy for ME to deal with! Even the 4 hole mold gets heavy if I need a LOT of that bullet quick! I try to run to molds when I'm casting. I use 2 bullets that are very easy to separate visually.A short fat 44 and a long skinny 7mm for example. Yes ,I do have a 7mm handgun or 3!  I find the 2 holers to be about the best for ME ,giving me a decent quantity and excellent quality. I USUALLY only cast a 10 pound pot full at one sitting. A larger number of cavities might require a larger pot ,especially if I'm making big bullets for my 45-70 contender!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:23:39 PM »
For handguns I prefer four cavity for rifles two cavity.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:51:16 PM »
I am always short of 38 bullets cause I shoot them a lot, so I have several 6 hole Lee molds in that caliber, I think they are actually better than the expensive iron molds because of weight, and because they have that neat lever to open the sprue cutter, no beating on it with a hammer.

I most always run another one or two hole mold at the same time because it is efficient to let one cool while working the other. You have to use two molds that will be using a similar alloy though. I don't mess with alloys too much, I make either hard bullets or soft bullets, but you can't run a mold for hard bullets at the same time you want soft bullets from the other mold.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48:38 AM »
I use 11 different 6 cavity Lee moulds. I don't have a problem with any of them. They really turn out the bullets!  The bullets turned out in the multiple cavity moulds are pretty good and give good service. However, if accuracy is the driving factor in your cast bullet shooting then a single cavity mould provides the most consistent and uniform bullets.

Larry Gibson

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:42:03 AM »
I have molds in one and two cavity. I don't have any problem changing from aluminum to steel, as long as I remember that the aluminum will cool off faster.They are also a lot easier on my wrist than the steel, and both give me good bullets. I like to cast fairly big handgun bullets, and my rifle bullets are both 30 caliber, both different ( though not much ) and both aluminum.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
 Using a couple of different moulds is a great ideal,just be sure they are different enough to seperate for sizing?lubing/gas checking operations.
 As far as number of cavities,casting is a relaxation pastime for a lot of us,learing the ins and outs,still I want maximum production and high quality.
 So I have 2 Jeff Tanner Moulds,one a 6 cavity .395" ball,other is a .535" ball mould.
 Modern suppository guns I have 2,4 and 6 cavity moulds for.
John 3:16

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 04:49:51 AM »
 So I have 2 Jeff Tanner Moulds,one a 6 cavity .395" ball.........

WooHoo!!  I was beginning to believe that I was the only .40 shooter left!!  Has to be the most underrated caliber ever cut!
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 06:26:47 AM »
 HeHeHe! ;D ;D ;D
 Just don't tell the other bullseye ( or is it some other kinda bull?) WHY we are beating their scores on the target range!
 Jeff
John 3:16

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 07:48:34 AM »
bigger the bettter if it doesnt heat up to fast on me. Problem is now im getting old and handling anything steel bigger then 4 cavity is hard on the body for long casting sessions. So when i go bigger then 4 i go aluminum.
blue lives matter

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 02:26:18 AM »
I run three four cavity Lyman steel molds at once, not necessarily all the same bullet.  It's just about optimum for me.  Molds don't get too hot or too cold, and the sprues have cooled enough, but not too much..........gee, sounds like the three bears story.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 04:04:21 AM »
I use the Lyman 4 cavity's the most.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 01:55:46 PM »
I like the 4 cavity pistol molds and the 2 cavity rifle molds.  Tried the 6 cavity pistol mold but seems cumbersome.  I also keep two molds working at the same time.  Lbt blue soft lube from Veral works great on rifles and pistols.

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline clod hopper

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 07:24:40 PM »
Big bullets in small blocks need more time to cool or cooler alloy. When casting 45 grain .22 bullets I need to work fast, be out of the wind and just run the one mould to keep it warmed up.
clod hopper
To lazy to chase arrows.