Author Topic: Teflon Tape on breechplugs?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
Teflon Tape on breechplugs?
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »
Would like to hear from those who are using it.  Some questions I have are, does it seal well, how is the clean up, how many wraps are you using, the thick or the thin size?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences.
Denny
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Teflon Tape on breechplugs?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:12:16 AM »
My experience with it is limited, however I have been using it of late.  It works very well, if you change it often.  In other words, don't leave the plug in for too many shots.  After 3 or 4 shots I start to get some blowby that "shreds" the tape, which is not a big problem, but my fear was a siezed plug.  I clean every few shots with 777, so I just re-tape.  With Blackhorn, I pull the plug every 5 shots and re-tape, and doing so it seems to work well for me.  I use the plumbing grade teflon.  The yellow is too thick and makes it hard to get the breech plug into place.  One good wrap will do it.  After all, we shoot them with nothing on them but grease, this just improves upon that a bit.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:01:26 AM »
I tried using it once and ruined a barrel. maybe I didn't put enough on, or not thick enough tape, but I would never recommend it to anyone. I'm sure others have used it without problems, but I'll stick with T7 grease

Offline str8shooter48

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:18:38 AM »
Never had a problem with my Encore using APP or 777 using good old T/C Gorilla Grease.
Just don't over tighten your breechplug. Hand tight seems to work.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:27:17 AM »
I've been using Sabotloader's method of applying teflon tape, IMO it works perfect with NO fouling in the threads which makes breech plug removal a pain. The tape at the front of the plug seals the BP so no fouling can get past it into the threads.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,39309.msg223146.html#msg223146
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 07:59:45 AM »
I've been using Sabotloader's method of applying teflon tape, IMO it works perfect with NO fouling in the threads which makes breech plug removal a pain. The tape at the front of the plug seals the BP so no fouling can get past it into the threads.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,39309.msg223146.html#msg223146

Thanks, Tim for pointing this out.  He has a much better method than I have used.  As I stated in post, I have used tape, but after a few shots got "leakage".  I did not wrap over the front (which makes sense). That is why forums like this are useful.  Shared knowledge.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:12:41 AM »
I have been using it for 5 or 6 years, both the pink and the white without any problems.

With Blackhorn 209, that is all I use is the tape. Sabotloader's method works well for everything except Blackhorn 209. You only want to just barely go over the face of the plug where it is locked into the shoulder of the bore. If you put too much out in front, it will end up blown back into your flash hole. In other words, you shouldnt be able to see any tape when shining a light down the bore. Also make sure you wrap in the right direction (and run your fingernail around it to seat it in the threads) or you will be pushing it back out as you are threading it in. Snug the plug tight for Blackhorn 209, just finger tight is fine for the rest.

I have shot bare plugs (nothing on them) with Blackhorn 209, it won't seize them up in the least, but I like the tape for that extra seal to keep blowback out of the threads. If you put a smidge of grease over the tape it helps when installing the plug.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »
I have been using the tape for about a year now in my Lyman Mustang.  I put it on so that it slightly overlaps the breech end of the plug, and use enough wraps so that the plug is really snug going in.  I also tighten it slightly more than finger tight.  I've never had blow back through the threads or difficulty removing the plug, and I never pull the plug until I'm finshed shooting and ready for a thorough cleaning.  I've left it in for two-day range sessions with a total of 80 shots or so with T7, Pyrodex and GOEX - no problem.  I've had only one range session with Blackhorn - a total of 15 shots - again, no problem.  When I pull out the plug the threads are clean except for some clinging bits of tape.  I'll never use grease again.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 08:06:50 AM »
I wonder if a correctly sized shim thickness washer at the end of the breech plug would seal everything up
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline ricktile66

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:59:11 AM »
I have tried teflon tape and didn't like it.  Also used gorilla grease and it works ok.  Found that I like never sieze better.  Buy a can of it in the plumbing isle and Home Depot and have enough for a lifetime.

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 04:14:15 AM »
I wrap a single layer of tape starting at the nose and going back toward the primer in my Omegas.  Fired as many as 30 shots without removing, NEVER had an issue.  I use the white plumber's tape, the pink stuff for gas is too thick.

The front third of the tape pretty much is non-existant when removed, but it's not a problem.  Zero blowback.

How can you ruin a barrel with teflon tape??

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:17:59 AM »
I used tape in my Savage with smokeless loads for a while with no problems.

However right now mine us stuck.  Hopefully when I take the stock off and get a bigger wrench out it will loosen.  Might need to rethink the tape issue depending on how much trouble I have getting the plug out.

Offline whitfang

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 09:40:47 AM »
I've used white teflon tape and grease - both worked for me as far as sealing and lubing the breechplug.  But I clean the barrel and replace the tape after every range session.

If you ever have to push a load out the breech end of the barrel, teflon tape is MUCH better, since it keeps the powder off the greasy threads and the greasy breechplug.

Encore / Mathews / Rem870 / Savage 10ML