Author Topic: Acorn Rage  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Brian T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Acorn Rage
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »
Has anyone used the Acorn Rage deer food?  The testimonials seem too good to be true.

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Re: Acorn Rage
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:31:36 AM »
I used it last season on a leased property that I was only able to make it to the property once the whole season. So I thought I would try an attractant. I poured it next to the feeder (feeder was filled with corn) about 20 feet away from the feeder. I hunted 3 days over Thanksgiving. I only saw deer one day and they were feeding on the corn under the feeder. The Acorn Rage was untouched.

This could be for several reasons though. They might not have been used to the "new" product, they felt comfortable feeding under the feeder. They had been going to the feeder for a full year prior. They might have gobbled it up a week later...I'll never know. Or, they could have just liked the corn better. Again, I'll never know. Maybe I should leave a comment box next time so they can write down their thoughts as they go...LOL, that would be nice!

I think the only way to really test stuff like that is if you put it out with other options for deer over a year and see which they gravitate toward the most on a regular basis. Kind of like a taste test. I don't know of any company that has done that. Sure can't beat the price and availability of corn...if you're going to use something. 
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »
  The testimonials seem too good to be true.
There's your sign!!! ;)

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:45:02 AM »
It's just another of those products that the TV hunters use to promote their hunting adventures at the expence of other hunters, Im sure if you are in a HIGH fence deer PEN and you are using it to FEED the deer in the PEN it will have some attraction but just dumped on the ground and the deer will run you over to get to it C-MON think about it.  Jim

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:53:01 AM »
The deer I killed last January, next to last day of bow season in Ohio went right for the Acorn Rage and there was already corn in the feeder on the property.  3 does came in straight for the acorn rage ignoring the corn.  this was a free range hunt situation and I had never used the product there before. Made a believer out of me.

I have used it other times and it didn;t pan out but those days I didn;t see any deer on the property at all.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »
If you want a good and cheap attractant try Rice Brain.  You can find it at most feed stores.  The stuff was made as a cattle feed and you can buy 50# for around $4.50 a bag.  It doesn't do well getting wet but the deer will go nuts over it.  It's got alot of fat so it is good for the deer.  The deer around my house will go through 100# in one night!!! 
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:02:41 PM »
  The makers have a good TV show, though. Brett Farvre is their spokesman.

Offline DDelle338

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:25:15 AM »
 I put out some of that stuff and two other brands in front of a deer cam. (at separate times)
 I didn't get any deer to eat the stuff. I had even made some trails of it from outside the camera's view to the main piles of it. No takers. Wasted the money on the experiments. Now corn is a different story, they seem to find that a favorite. So that is what's in my feeder, a mix of shelled and flake corn. This is all for the deer and my viewing pleasure. I don't hunt anywhere within 20 miles of my feeder.
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »
  I owned 8 acres of woods that was full of acorns. The deer fed in the corn field next door. The squirrels sure did like the acorns though.
            bobg

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
I bought the overpriced pellets from C'mere Deer without results, even crushed or whole corn mixed with molasses had no takers.

There are many clover fields and apple trees in my neighborhood so the deer are spoiled. Our season isn't long enough to see if the other stuff would work once the apples are gone.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 07:19:50 AM »
I use the Acorn Rage in a feeder, I usually pour one bag of corn, one bag of Acorn Rage until full (about six bags total).  I feed for 15 seconds twice daily, dumping about 4-5 pounds of feed each time.  I have had very good success with the mixture, but I also have a secret ingredient.  I add sugar free drink mix to flavor the corn/Acorn Rage mixture.  I use the Wal-Mart brand, of Mixed Berry, the tube contains 6 packages, I open and pour one each time I add a bag of feed to the feeder. Grape or peach flavors also works well.  Be sure to use the sugar free to keep the insects away.

Offline DDelle338

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »
I use the Acorn Rage in a feeder, I usually pour one bag of corn, one bag of Acorn Rage until full (about six bags total).  I feed for 15 seconds twice daily, dumping about 4-5 pounds of feed each time.  I have had very good success with the mixture, but I also have a secret ingredient.  I add sugar free drink mix to flavor the corn/Acorn Rage mixture.  I use the Wal-Mart brand, of Mixed Berry, the tube contains 6 packages, I open and pour one each time I add a bag of feed to the feeder. Grape or peach flavors also works well.  Be sure to use the sugar free to keep the insects away.
DRINK MIX!!???!!  Do you put ice cubes in the feeder during the summer? :)
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »
NO ice, but I do spike it every now and then with a shot of "Red Eye." ::)