Author Topic: What happened to Swift?  (Read 812 times)

Offline SandWedge

• Trade Count: (0)
What happened to Swift?
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »
I was looking for warranty information for Swift scopes and found that their site has been down for many days.  Any news as to what is going on with the company? 

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/

Thanks,

Sandwedge

Offline 31 bertram

Re: What happened to Swift?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:49:06 AM »
I'll try and give you the short version of my experience with Swift.

Aparently Swift Instruments has sold this division to another company and is now Swift Sport Optics.   About a year and a half ago I bought a 4x12x40 from EABCO and the scope would not hold zero.  That little yellow return slip in the box was useless since that repair address is no longer there in Dorchester Mass. My scope went there and came back saying no such address. (first 3 weeks of deer season gone) Eabco said I would have to call the new company and gave me their new phone number.  Even though I bought their Premier line of scope for my 257 wby Swift said it was the wrong choice and they won't hold up that good.  Well, guess what, it was the wrong choice for me, he he

I ended up putting another back up scope on my gun and giving that Swift away.   It ended up costing me most of the first part of deer season, a box of 257 wby ammo, and they still would'nt stand behind their product.  The old Swift Instrument company was a great bunch of folks to deal with.  I only wanted to use the scope until I could afford a higher end Ziess Conquest.

I'd run "Swiftly away from them now.
31 bertram   

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:46:42 AM »
seems like all the buy outs are killing a lot of good product lines
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:05:20 AM »
I've never had any use for Swift optics and for that matter not for Simmons, BSA and not for Tasco either other than their old Made in Japan World Class scopes. Many folks however with limited funds have bought and used them all with at least some degree of satisfaction over the years. For most of them times have changed and they are under new ownership and may or may not be as good as they once were but for some maybe they will even be better.

I've pretty much standardized my optics buying from Leupold and Bushnell Elite lines almost exclusively these days. I've done product reviews on the entire line of Bushnell scopes and in their price range they seem as good as anything else in that range. If I had to buy lower cost optics I'd trust Bushnell over any of the other lower cost scopes.

Used Leupold scopes can often be had as cheaply as the lower quality lower priced scopes and offer that life time warranty which makes used Leupold scopes about the best buy out there.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SandWedge

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »
No argument there.  If I buy a scope for a critical application, it's a Leupold.  But back to the question.  Is Swift Sport Optics still in business?  It is rather unusual to be without any web presence. 

Thanks,

Sandwedge

Offline SandWedge

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 05:45:08 AM »
Their website is back up.  I am leery of a company that just disappears off the map for a month and then re-appears.  That's too bad though since some of their products have received good reviews.

Thanks,

Sandwedge