Author Topic: Zeiss Conquest opinions? Looking at Nikon, Leupold and now Zeiss  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Lower40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Trader North
Want to buy a quality scope and am considering the Leupold VXL 50mm, Nikon Monarch 50mm and the Zeiss Conquest 50mm.  Have collected a lot of info via this forum relating to the Nikon and Leupold...but looking for some feedback on the Zeiss Conquest..ie performance and warranty.

Found this Cabela link...appears that one minor concern with the Zeiss are the "plastic adjustment screw covers".   The Leupold and Zeiss are in the same price range and the Nikon just a little less expensive...which is not my primary concern.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/711321/reviews.htm

Does Mueller make a 50mm scope?

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
Re: Zeiss Conquest opinions? Looking at Nikon, Leupold and now Zeiss
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »
Lower40,

I am buying Zeiss Conquest scopes these days.   I started out in the 50's with Lyman and then moved to Leupold along with some Kahles,  Zeiss,  Unertl etc.

I found that the Conquest has superior optics to the Leupold scopes.  In particular the Leupold reticules fade to pink to oncoming light and the Conquest does not.

After getting ten Leupold I have now just bought five Conquests.

Check out Cameraland in their 'show samples' section for new in the box best prices on Conquests.

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-zeiss.html

To add the 3-9-50 Conquest is $599.99 at Cabelas and $499.99 at Cameraland!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »
Why do you think you need a 50mm objective? Are you planning to hunt at night with no lights just ambient light? If not a 50mm or larger objective is really not needed and has way more minuses than pluses.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lower40

• Trader North
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:00:31 AM »
Recently had retina surgery and have a cataract in my shooting eye....hoping the 50mm will inhance my vision in low light situations.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:10 AM »
I have bought nothing but Leupolds for years. I have a friend with the Zeiss and it does appear to be an excellant scope, so I would expect you would be happy with eather. I did talk to a fellow that said he could not use Leupold scope at all because he had an eye problem that he could not focus through the lens coatting that Leupold used. Never heard of that befor, but after your surgey you might want to look through them befor you buy.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »
50mm does not come into play until around 7x.  Up until that point it is wasted.  Its extra weight, extra money, and if you don't have the proper height comb, you lose proper cheek weld with the rifle.  If you are using it for long range shooting in low light and you have the proper comb height then it may be worth your while.

Offline Lower40

• Trader North
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
Thanks folks..a lot of valid points to dwell on...time is on my side..deer season is now over (Buck in the freezer)..I have a few months to find my scope & deal...and better prepared to make a decison.

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »
I've owned a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 since they came out a few years back.  It's an excellent, durable scope that has served time on various slug guns and now resides on a .44 magnum handi-rifle.

The clarity and low light performance is excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I will say that I've found Nikon's line of scopes to be excellent as well.  In the same price line as the conquest, their Monarch line is very, very nice and I wouldn't hesitate to  own and use one on any firearm.

Jim

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:15:05 PM »
I own several Zeiss, 5 Conquest and 2 German. Dollar for Dollar, I don't think that you can beat the conquest line. I have compared them to comparable Leopold's in VX 2 and 3 and for my eyes, the conquest have always seemed superior. I would strongly suggest buying the conquest.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:22:02 PM »
I own several Zeiss, 5 Conquest and 2 German.

Tuna,

Your post sort of implies that the Conquest is not made in Germany. Where is the Conquest made? Does it have German glass?
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »
Take a look at the Bushnell Elite series.  They are awesome.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Skunk

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »
Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36mm
Mike

Offline Tunaman

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 11:49:53 AM »
I own several Zeiss, 5 Conquest and 2 German.

Tuna,

Your post sort of implies that the Conquest is not made in Germany. Where is the Conquest made? Does it have German glass?

The Conquest is the "American" line of Zeiss scopes. The rest are colectivly refered to as "german" where I am from. Both of mine are Diavaris. Sorry for any confusion. By the way, I here that the VX-III has been discontinued.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »
The Conquest is the "American" line of Zeiss scopes. The rest are colectivly refered to as "german" where I am from. Both of mine are Diavaris. Sorry for any confusion. By the way, I here that the VX-III has been discontinued.

Danke sehr für die Auskunft Tunaman. I've been doing a little digging for info about the "American" market Conquest and found that the glass is presumed to be manufactured by Meopta in the Czech Republic and is supposed to be top notch. The rest of the parts are made by Zeiss. The Conquests are then built in the U.S. They sound like an excellent scope. I've read many rave reviews about their quality.

I've also heard about the VX-III being replaced by an updated version called the VX-3. I see that MidSouth and other stores already have them listed on their websites.
Mike

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
I have several Zeiss Conquest scopes and all are great!  I also love Leupold.  However, the last SEVERAL scopes I have purchased have all been Nikon.  Price/features seems to be the best in a Nikon.  Bottom line all are fine scopes.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Tunaman

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »
I just got off of the phone with a buddy of mine that is a rep for Zeiss and your story is straight. Although he did not confirm Meopta but he did not say no either. I have had 2 Meopta scopes and still have one. They are good glass as well.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 02:12:45 PM »
I primarily own Nikon Monarchs, Bushnell Elite 4200s, Zeiss Conquests, and Leupold VXIII (which actually have been around and have replaced the Vari-X series for at least 2 years).  These 4 makes and brands of scopes are very high quality and generally in the same price category - which is "upper middle class."  These scopes are not high end Swavorski or Schmidt & Bender, but I just can't see myself spending $1,800+ for a scope when these other 4 scopes (at less than 1/2 the price) are almost as good and thus a much better value.

I honestly can't say which of these scopes is "better."  That said, to my eye, the Nikon Monarchs seem a tad bit sharper, but then again the new Leupold VXIIIs are awesome too.  However, that should take nothing away from the Elite 4200s or the Conquests.  Again, they are all awesome optics.

Zachary

Offline Tunaman

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »
The VX III is being replaced this year. I agree with you that they are quality glass but frankly I have never seen enough differance between the VX II and the VXIII to warrent the extra money. I have to wonder what the improvements will be to the VX3 and what the prices will be.