Author Topic: BSA Sweet Series Question....  (Read 713 times)

Offline 243_shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
BSA Sweet Series Question....
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:23:11 PM »
well i just bought my first handi rifle....243... i put a simmons 3-9x40 i had laying around on it but i want something for shooting different distances and i was looking at a BSA sweet .243 scope but have heard some bad things about the BSA optics in general so i was just looking for some opinions...i do allot of hunting in the afternoon/dusk so i am often in not very bright areas which is what i heard BSA is bad for....

Thanks,
Cory

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
Re: BSA Sweet Series Question....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »
Well if u herd they where bad than y would u want 1,i had a sweet 17 and it was junk i wouldnt was my time buying any bsa scope
1 shot 1 kill

Offline 243_shooter

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
Well if u herd they where bad than y would u want 1,i had a sweet 17 and it was junk i wouldnt was my time buying any bsa scope

because i have also heard some good......

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:12:58 PM »
Look back one page or use the search, they've been discussed before.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 03:00:17 AM »
I've heard more bad than good by far regarding BSA scopes. I guess I'm kinda on the fence regarding them. I have two and one is in use the other is a Sweet 17 bought with the intention of putting it on a CZ .17 HMR but I sold it before ever mounting a scope on it. So that scope sits still NIB waiting until I either sell it or get another rifle to mount it on.

The other is a 2-7 mounted on my Gamo air rifle. It came with the air rifle and quite honestly I have no complaints regarding it. The rifle holds zero well and for the purposes I have for it the scope performs well. It is a bit less bright than a higher priced scope and not exactly what I'd chose as a low light big game scope but I have used it at night to shoot at a varmint only just barely illuminated by the neighbor's night light and I was able to make the shot well enough with it. It has held up to the springer air gun quite well.

BSA offers a really wide range of scope models considering the narrow price spread between them. I suspect the majority of bad reports are due to the lower levels of this line and that the good reports come primarily from the upper level lines but I'm not really sure. If ya just really gotta go cheap and chose a BSA for that reason I'd suggest a scope from their upper level lines. I'm not sure where the Sweet series scopes fit but will say mine is far more clear than the air gun scope on my Gamo and it works fine. If you want a scope for the features of the Sweet series and are willing to gamble that it might or might not be OK I'd say go for it heck if it fails you've not lost that much on it. If however your budget is really tight and you're looking for the best bargain for your hard earned dollars I'd suggest not buying BSA due to their checkered record. In such a case you'd be better served with a scope with known better quality.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 05:44:08 AM »
I have a sweet 22 that came on a Handi 17 hmr, I would like to give the scope
to some one but don't know anyone i dis like that much. will not hold where you
put it for more that 3 shots. I bought another Mueller and don't have to worry
about it.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »
I had a Sweet .17 BSA for several months, maybe a year and it held zero fine.  But after reading all the negative posts about it and realizing most of my shots would be less than a 100 yards anyway, I returned it to Cabella's for a Simmons with higher power.  Last time I was out, the Simmons had lost zero......!
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug