Author Topic: Venison-Mule deer vs.whitetail  (Read 1077 times)

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Venison-Mule deer vs.whitetail
« on: September 18, 2003, 01:49:36 AM »
:-) Was wondering if there is a distinctive taste differance between Mule deer and Whitetail.I have dined on whitetail for many years but have never tried mulie meat.What do you guys think that have eaten both?

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 07:40:26 AM »
:D My personal preference is whitetail. I like antelope over mulies. That my preference. They are not bad, but I like  most other game animals better.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 10:30:49 AM »
pa ridge-runner,

As with any kind of meat it all depends on what the animal has been feeding on.  I've killed both Mule and Whitetail in Montana where the two were found together and I couldn't tell the difference.  Yet again I tried venison from deer that were feed off burn areas and the meat had a smokey tang to it.  I believe it all depends on the vegetation the deer have been feeding on.  Different vegetation for different areas/states.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline wyote

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 01:15:33 AM »
Like Freddogs said I prefer whitetail over mulies. Also I will take antelope over mulies.
for every law thats passed alittle freedom dies

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 04:06:17 AM »
I also prefer Witetail over Mulies (which is still some fine dinin').  Unless I am cooking the Hams of a mulie, I usually marinate the Mulie in Italian dressing overnight.  Good stuff.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 05:15:30 AM »
I hunt mulies down in the Salmon River drainage where their primary food source is the alfalfa and wheat fields above the breaks.  The meat is some of the best you will ever taste, and much better than the whitetail meat from deer I've killed in the timberlands of North Idaho.  The mule deer that my friend takes from the South Idaho plains is not worth eating because of the sagebrush they feed on.  But I, too, prefer pronghorn to either of the deer species.  The very best meat you will ever eat is moose, with caribou a close second.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.