Author Topic: Alaska political issue topic GBO advertiser  (Read 524 times)

Offline thxmrgarand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Alaska political issue topic GBO advertiser
« on: January 12, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
One of the opening page advertisers is an interest group apparently working to stop the proposed Pebble Mine in the Bristol Bay region of Alaska.  The final decision on the proposed Pebble Mine is years away.  In the meantime the State of Alaska has what I believe is the most rigorous and expensive process for mine permitting (and any other sort of public land development) found anywhere in the world.  I have no interest in and little knowledge of Alaska mining but in the 35 years I have lived here I have come to understand that with government owning virtually all the land Alaskans are either wards of the government or are government employees, and that is a poor way to live.  There are no blocks of private land except that given to Indian tribal corporations (so-called Native corporations) and I have only met one Alaskan who owns more than 10 acres.  Hardly any Alaskan owns even 5 acres.  So private enterprise as understood in the Lower 48 cannot exist, and as anyone might expect, there is absolutely no manufacturing in Alaska of any kind (as defined by the federal commerce people).  There are a few tiny rudimentary sawmills and some very small (compared to what we once had) fish canneries; that's it.  For that reason we need every basic industry job we can possibly find.  Alaska is huge; the place I live is as remote from Bristol Bay as Tennessee is from Maine.  No single mine can threaten hunting in any way whatsoever, and hundreds of biologists monitor game populations every day.  Alaska has less than a half-dozen large mines (I think I can list them).  Whether the Pebble Mine threatens fish will be a big part of the process now under way.  The mine would apparently be within 50 miles (by air - there are no roads) of a private fishing lodge owned by a very successful Alaska investor, and that investor is reported to be the source of virtually all of the opposition to this one mine.  Maybe the mine will be decided to be a bad idea (nothing to me one way or another) but the process should run its course and the fact remains that Alaska needs real wage jobs.  I will point out that the oil pipeline was supposed to hurt the caribou herd but the herd has increased 5X since the pipeline was built and the pipeline has helped reduced wanton waste of caribou and poaching hear the pipeline.  Thank you for your time. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Alaska political issue topic GBO advertiser
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »
You must obviously pay more attention to ads than most. I don't even have a clue what advertiser you are talking about. But we're to have a major restructuring of the ads this year as the company who has the big box ad and the full page width ad are dropping them at the end of this month.

We sell those spaces to a company who in turn resells the space to a variety of companies. They will not be doing that after the end of this month.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »
I have two words for you.... Paragraphs PLEASE...  ;D with a resolution of 1280x1024 long posts such as this one with no breaks are impossible to make sense out of... I have no Idea who you are talking about as you failed to mention the advertiser... but as GB said they will be a major overhaul this year on the ads.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline thxmrgarand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:57:11 PM »
The headline button on the ad says, "Win a Hunt - Save Bristol Bay."

I will continue to work on presentation, grammar and syntax.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »
I seem to recall seeing the ad but never clicked on it. No clue really just who the advertiser paying for it might be.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:25 AM »
The guy that is trying to stop Pebble is a Multi Millionare that happens to own a hunting camp in the area.  He does not want to have a mine in his area, no matter what the conomic impact to thye area.  This mine will bring hundreds of jobs to the area for the mine.  It will also bring commerce to all of southern Alaska.  It is a great oppertunity for Alaska to produce some of it's resources, and really needs to go forward.  So far his ballot inniatives have failed by land slides.  Rog  I'll be back with more info when I get the time.  Got to go catch a train.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.