Author Topic: Whitetail Hunting Destinations  (Read 781 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Whitetail Hunting Destinations
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:57:16 PM »
Well after another season of seeing only a few deer :-[ and not getting a shot off, I'm already thinking of next year.

Where could one be reasonably certain that they would see deer over a three or four day hunt, anywhere in the US, nice but NOT fancy expensive lodging, not sent out to sit next to a feeder station, etc, etc.  You know what i mean.  Nice area with a decent deer population.  Not looking for a monster buck, just a really good hunting trip.

Where would you you recommend???

Thanks!

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Whitetail Hunting Destinations
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »
Where u live?
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
Your underlying concept to see deer is laudable but predicitng where deer will or won't be is impossible at worst and improbable at best.  I hunted both the western piedmont of South Carolina, a location known for a lot of deer, and East Central Florida. 

There was a minimum of a week's lull (the last 7 days I was there) in seeing ANY deer where I hunted alone in South Carolina and I hunted from sun up to sun down all day every day all week long.  Fortunately the first 2.5 days I limited out two days and got 50% of the way there on the third day so I had a terrific 10-day hunt.

In the place I hunt in Florida, you can sit continuously for whole seasons at a time without seeing a mature buck and the does are not in season for more than one week in late November (Modern Gun) so seeing does, which is a good thing, it is not such a big deal when you can't shoot them.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:23:19 PM »
First, Land_Owner, contrats on your latest buck. I read your post and my modem tanked so I couldn't reply. And on topic, I heard that West Virginia has some of the best public land to hunt on if you just want to "get a deer" and are not worried about trophy quality.

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
Land_Owner is correct but I think your question might have been...if the conditions are right, where are my best chances? I think you might be looking for deer densities in different parts of the country. Do a search online for US deer densities or populations. I think QDMA has a deer density map on their website. This will show the # of deer per square mile in any given area of the US. This will give you "some" idea as to where you might find more deer in certain parts of the country. Search for outfitters in those areas.

Last time I checked the map, I seem to remember that SC had a very large deer density rating and Land_Owner didn't see anything for a week when he was there. My parents have a summer home in MA. The map shows a very low deer density in that part of MA. However, everytime I am at their house, I see deer in their yard almost daily. Just goes to show you it's not a guarantee nor is it going to be easy.

Good luck
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
Thanks all.  I'm in Massachusetts.  :( The deer density according to the state is excellent but the highest density is all suburbs. 

Space is a real issue here. I hunt on federal land by permit only in an effort to get away from the crowds on the state land, yet there's always numerous other hunters and of course the dog walking, mountain biking, anti-hunting liberals. Lot's of folks have successful deer hunts here, but it's just me. 

I should rephrase my question from a 'where's a place where you know you'll see/take a deer' to 'where would you go to have an excellent chance of seeing deer, with plenty of space to hunt on, in an area that doesn't shun hunters.'  I'd rather spend my money out of state and enjoy a nice week of quality hunting (in temps above 28 degrees f) and be able to relax and enjoy that time, whether i harvest anything or not, than squeeze into little areas here, freeze my butt off, see nothing, and risk getting coming in contact with some anti.  I don't like to 'sneak'. 

Our state division of Fisheries and Wildlife is doing the best they can, but why should i buy a license when the wmas are just places for overweight soccer moms to walk their overweight labs or horseback riders (that is if it's not swampland now because they outlawed trapping), neither of whom know anything about the DF&W and would NEVER buy a license.

Anyway, thanks again.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:57:21 PM »
I suspect the highest concentration of deer anywhere is in a three county area around Kerr County Texas. Last I heard there are three counties there (no I don't recall which two besides Kerr) that have as many or more deer than any other entire state in the nation. Last time I was out there on the drive to town from the lodge (about 7 miles) it seemed there was never a trip that freshly killed deer weren't laying on the road side not there on the previous trip and the remains of them in every stage from hit by the car ahead of you to those so rotten to almost be all gone were every few yards.

One one drive out to a hunting location I probably saw 250 or more deer and that's just what I saw along the road side. It's all private land so you'll pay to hunt there but a hunt around Kerrville should be a sure a thing as it gets I'd think.

In KY at a state park I saw huge numbers of them as well but admit that in two trips up there to hunt on private land I've seen a total on one doe.

In south Alabama the chances on privae land of killing deer have to be about as good as it gets. I visited there with a GBO member whose name will not be mentioned for a hog hunt a couple times. I have NEVER EVER before seen as many deer while out hunting as I did there. NOPE permission is not available for anyone to include me to hunt deer. But there are plenty of places in south Bama you can hunt both on private land for money and on public land for free.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 06:42:22 AM »
Also look in Uvalde County (Uvalde, TX) and Edwards County (Rockspirngs, TX). In fact, look for any county that allows 5 deer to be taken (and they can all be doe) per hunter. These are the counties overrun with deer ... average doe is 80 lbs. You'll also find doe only hunts in these counties that are reasonably priced. They come to the feeders every morning and afternoon almost regardless of weather. The hunting part is looking for big racks, which they also have, but you might hunt a whole season and not see the trophy buck. Meat however is not a problem. 

Offline live2hunt

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
Pierce Pond Township, Carrying Place, Bowtown, Otter Pond ME area. Lodging right in Pleasant Ridge. Lots of nice deer. This past season not the greatest, but usually alot of big bucks.
Don't argue with an idiot, people will have a hard time telling the difference!

Offline Mt_Sourdough

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Here in Montana, you could get a deer easy enough. In a four day trip, shoot deer on day one and then spend three days going after elk.    ;D
Gotta git'me a bigger ice box