Author Topic: 1963 Cannon accident  (Read 687 times)

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
1963 Cannon accident
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:39:39 AM »
Here is a disturbing picture I found in my files. Amazingly, the camera caught the scene just at the moment the cannon crew experienced a premature discharge of the 12-pounder Napoleon they were loading. This accident happened at the Centennial Anniversary Reenactment of the Battle of Brandy Station, Virginia in 1963. It was the most widely publicized cannon accident that I know of. I read an update account of this accident and recall that there were serious injuries to several crew members. I have wondered over the years how the injured men were affected by the accident in later life.The picture caption appears to have some of the crew member names and or positions in error.

This accident taught me a very valuable lesson early on, which has served me well through the years.

Max

Max

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 1963 Cannon accident
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 04:47:41 AM »
Blank firing could be considered the most dangerous type of cannon firing, with muzzle loaders.  Somehow, since "live" rounds aren't involved, people get relaxed.  Rapid fire is a killer, as far as I know, 3 minutes is still the mandatory wait between firing and loading in many organized groups.  With a blank load, internal ballistic pressures (and temperatures) are lower than with higher-pressure projectile loads, so there is I think a tendency for the foil to burn less completely, thus higher probability of hot stuff left in the bore to ignite another round loaded after poor servicing or loaded too quickly, or both.  Never go for rapid fire with a muzzle loader.

Offline p51

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My cowboy shooting page...
Re: 1963 Cannon accident
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
I think that incident influenced a lot of people during the post-Centennial era. I remember some of the early CW events in Florida in the mid 70s and people talking about that incident. It would be interesting to find out what ever happened to those involved. Thankfully, I've never even been around a premature ignition, although I have known people who have. The scary things I've seen done with muzzle loading artillery were freaky enough!
Rapid fire is a killer, as far as I know, 3 minutes is still the mandatory wait between firing and loading in many organized groups. 
I've fired and watched a LOT of artillery firing blanks over many years (even been to two Gettysburg re-enactments), and I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a "mandatory wait time" in firing. The vast majority will perform the functions of firing correctly, but I've never seen anyone specifically slow down or stop firing for a pre-set time, except when timeframes for the scenario call for it (as in, "Don't fire after 12:10 because cavalry will be charging at that time"), or when making sure to conserve rounds.
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!