Author Topic: Boresnake  (Read 752 times)

Offline rlm2007x

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Boresnake
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:27:54 AM »
Do you guys use a Boresnake on your cap and ball revolvers?  Robert

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Boresnake
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
I shoot EPP-UG "biglube" bullets in my Ruger Old Army, and never have to clean it at the range. At home I use a patch on a jag just like any other revolver. Never had any use for a boresnake. I guess if you were shooting your revolver with balls and it fouled the bore, a spritz of windex and a boresnake would work pretty well.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:58:33 AM »
What ever you do do not toss a bore snake in the washing machine like it says or said to do on the packing, unless your real boared and need a rope puzzle.
I think it would be Ok to do as a final step after you get most of the gunk out of the barrel.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »
I have one in 30 cal and consider it a waste of $$. If I would use it at all it would certainly not be the last thing thru the barrel. IMNHO
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »
I shoot a lot or aleast used to shoot almost every week and used one all the time to just clean out the bore and add a little oil to the gun till I did a rainy day full tear down on everything that was fired or things that stopped running like the Sig P220 Sport or the Beretta 301 trap gun.  both start to gunk up the and clog at around 500 rounds.
Other than that the others are pretty good at keeping the basic crap down till you can....
As far as making the gun clean to put away, no way, but can knock any loose crap out of the tube and apply a film of oil.

Offline NozzleRag

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »
Love them! Have one for each caliber I shoot. With black powder I run a little water or moosemilk down the barrel, pull the snake thru and good to go. Spray a little ballistol and put them away until the semiannual tear down and cleaning.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »
I love the bore snakes, but for me there a part of cleaning, not the whole thing.  I keep one in my range bag wet with ballistol for my surpluss rifles and corosive ammo.  Give a pull down the barrel and I'm good to go till I get home to clean.  As far as black powder I use them in all my cap lock guns and in my black powder cartrige guns, mainly to knock the worst of the crud out the barrle, then a normal cleaning rod and patches and such.

They do wad up a bit in the washer, but I put then in an old sock, tie the end and wash.  I've washed 5 or 6 at a time and it's only ever taken a couple minits to untangle them, no big deal.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com