Author Topic: recomendations for scope for squirrel hunting ?  (Read 786 times)

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
recomendations for scope for squirrel hunting ?
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
HI,I am looking for some recomendations for a rimfire that I am going to squirrel hunt with.I will be shooting from about 10 yards to 75 yards.And of course i will be using the scope to tell me whether i am looking at a squirrels head or just something that looks like a squirrels head,and of course looking through leaves and into the shadows.AND I need an affordable scope (subjective opinion at best)so lets put an UPPER price cap at $125.00.Thanks ,Craig

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: recomendations for scope for squirrel hunting ?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
Hi Craig

A number of the bigger scope manufacturers make good quality, .22 specific scopes.  These scopes usually differ from normal scopes by having parallex set at 50 yards rather then 100 - 125 yards.  That said, I have used centerfire scopes on my .22's for years without problem.  Weaver, Bushnell, Simmons, and Leupold come to mind.

I like a 2x7, or straight 6x on my .22 rifles, though some shooter like much higher magnification for precision head shots, though I have not found that to be really necessary.  In optics, you tend to get what you pay for.  Don't waste your money on $25.00 scopes.  $100.00, or so, will get you something decent.  Look for at least 1/4 minute adjustments - a squirrels head is a small target.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:32:16 AM »
Years ago I installed a Weaver K-4 I had taken off a centerfire on a .22 rimfire, the results were good and I installed a 4x scope that came as part of a Marlin 336 package on another 22 rimfire.  I have done a fair amount of shooting with these rifles and I have been satisfied with the results.  Most of the practice with the kids has been at 50-feet and 100 feet.  I have been printing out the small targets off the Remington website. 

With the above scopes I can easily hit a squirrels head, or determined if I am looking at bump in an oak limb or the squirrels head.

I had avoided installing a scope on them for years because I was unimpressed with the small diameter scopes that are commonly found on .22 rimfire rifles.  The full size hunting scope gives me the same picture I get with my deer rifle and enhances practice for deer hunting.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »
Nikon Prostaff.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »
nikon prostaff   here  too    3 x 9
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »
I put a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 on my new 17HMR and it has been great.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
I have an old Leupold 2X7 Vari X II I found in a pawn shop, sent off, and had rebuilt, mounted on my 22. It's worth more than the 22. ::)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:57:32 PM »
Weaver 2.5X7 rimfire  ;D

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline WyoStillhunter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »
I have a Weaver K4-W with duplex reticle on an old Remington 513-S and it works just great.  With the full-size, walnut stock and the 26" barrel it is approximately the weight of my centerfire M700s and the K4 is a good match.  If you have much smaller and lighter .22 the full-size K-series scopes may be a little overbalanced.

In the last few days I have found several of the older Weaver K-series scopes available on Gunbroker.  Many have plain crosshair reticles and can be bought for as little as $45 and up to about $75.  One of those would be about ideal IMO.
Hunt close, then get closer.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:02:54 AM »
Mueller will be just as good as any named and less money
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline ThunderStick

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »
   I'm sure there is probably some kind of religous rule against this, BUT I have a cheep BSA 4x32 on my 541T. I did adjust the paralax down to around 60 yards. I'm sure that the squirrels can't tell the difference! I also have a cheep 1.5-4x32 shotgun scope on my BRNO #1 barn gun that I picked up used at a pawn shop. It has a circle x retecal and is almost an idea squirrel scope, these guns always shoot where the X is placed at normal squirrel hunting ranges. I use to use the 17hm2 with the leaves off to take long shots, since getting supressor, I allways take the subsonic .22.