Author Topic: Re#19 and weather sensitivity  (Read 393 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Trade Count: (0)
Re#19 and weather sensitivity
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »
My 270 WSM loves Re#19 pushing 110 V-maxs at 3475 in mild winter climate . Soon I'll be hunting coyotes in 25 degree weather. Will weather change effect performance?  ??? :o ;D :'(

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Re#19 and weather sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
Weather will always effect our loads to some degree. BUT I doubt that difference your looking at will be enough for anyone to knotice..

generally the problems occur working up a load in cold weather than shooting them again in 90degree heat...

You should be just fine.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 08:00:23 AM »
Right on cwlongshot,

The story usely goes something like this, --- Joe worked up these great sub-MOA rounds stateside, for his sooopper wizbang mag. packed up his duffle and hit the road to Africa for his once in a life time Plains game hunt.

Somehow, and for some strange reason, after baking for 10 days in the back of the P.H.'s land rover, Ol'Joe had a malfunction on his bought just for the trip double rifle.

Seems as if the metal must have been a bit weak or something, as upon touching off the round at the B&C critter, the double rifle suddenly broke itself down into small easy to pack - although possibly hard to find - pieces.

Ol'Joe wasn't quite so easy to pick up and package and not all of his parts were found.

Point is, If you have worked up these great loads in cool weather, it would be very smart to back off a grain or so an re-test for groups and pressures come warm weather time.

Would hate to hear that you an Joe were now trying to get a group rate on another hunt.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:37:59 PM »
What "D.D." just wrote is absolutely TRUE... warm loads = higher pressures which could be a disaster for you if your loads are already at a MAXIMUM chamber pressure when developed in COOL weather.

If you handload a specific load at home in cooler weather and then you take them on your African or your S.W. USA hunt in HOT weather thus increasing the chamber pressure due to the higher temperature of the powder just prior to being set off, you MIGHT have a problem about to occur just as the trophy-sized male lion is coming FOR you.... not a "healthy" thing to be happening.

I suggest you might try some of the Hodgdon EXTREME powders which are suppose to NOT be "temperature sensitive"... I.E., hotter or cooler temperatures don't effect their muzzle velocity or their chamber pressure.  They supposedly yield the same chamber pressure and, thus, the same muzzle velocity at 20º as they do at 100º... an important feature worth considering.

On the other hand, if your rifle "loves" Re19, then be aware that as the weather warms up, the chamber pressures are also likely to go "up"... forewarned is forearmed.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline frankkj

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 06:15:46 AM »
I just went and looked at a new container of Reloader 19, and it says "Accurate and Consistent" on the label. I also checked a new container of Reloader 15 which said "Consistent At All Temperatures."

If it were me, and I was at or near maximum with my reloads, I would either telephone, or email, the Alliant Powder Company and ask about the weather sensitivity of Reloader 19.

Frank
North of 60 and still goin' strong. Just not quite as fast, nor quite as strong!