Author Topic: Food for Mule Deer?  (Read 996 times)

Offline David Krien

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.coyotejakes.com
Food for Mule Deer?
« on: December 14, 2002, 04:10:24 AM »
Does any one know where I can get information on a good food for mule deer? I didn’t know if Bio-Logic was the same for all deer. I would like to plat 10-15 acres.  Do you have to replant every year, are there seasonal varieties, how much maintenance, and mostly does it really help? Thanks, Dave.
www.coyotejakes.com
David Krien
Vice President
Coyote Jakes, Inc.
www.coyotejakes.com

Offline jhm

food plots for deer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 05:00:35 AM »
DAVID I have used the bio-logic on several of the food plots on our farm here in ar. and had good results, however I have also found that I do just as well to just plant food plots of a mixture of peas ,corn, clover, beans, and to fertilize well. take a soil sample to your local county ext,agent and they can tell you what your soil is lacking, that will help you in deciding what type and amount of fertilizer to use.  Now after you do all of this work it will not only benifit the deer it will help the other wild game in your area so be prepared to be FORCED to take up some other hunting as well Its kinda like the old saying in that movie where they said BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME, plant it and they will come.  Yes once you start its a good idea to keep it up year after year if you expect to see real effects from it, and its great to watch the deer year round. :D   JIM

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Food for Mule Deer?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 08:37:53 AM »
Now I shore ain't no mule deer expert but I think that alfalfa, wheat and oats are more likely what you need out west for them.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jhm

food plots
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2002, 11:20:43 AM »
you are right as to what is usually grown around there as to farm crops I was trying to introduce something that would be a good food plot product that could be planted and hunted around, there is lots of the other grown out there and they would be good as well. :D   JIM

Offline David Krien

• http://www.coyotejakes.com
Food for Mule Deer?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2002, 02:41:39 PM »
I am very excited to try something. I killed a very large deer this and would like to do it every year. Thanks, Dave.
David Krien
Vice President
Coyote Jakes, Inc.
www.coyotejakes.com