Author Topic: ruger .300wm  (Read 804 times)

Offline slickest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
ruger .300wm
« on: January 24, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »
Just put one on lay away today a hawkeye with the blued barrel. wondering who else has one and what ammo does yours like and do you have handload made up for it?

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Re: ruger .300wm
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »
 I have the multi-layer lam 300 mag stainless M77 ( pre hawkeye) and it does well at 200 yrds (1" to 2 1/4" groups) with remington and federal 180 grain offerings..

Still havent found a uber sweet load for it yet , but of course im searching for 1/2 " or less .. I have found a number of combinations that got down to 1' to 2" at 100 ,Most of that was 150 and 165 gr.  ...  Have gotten some real nice results from the hornady 220 gr round nose soft points .. Was pretty much experimenting with a good buy on that box of bullets ( have plans to go after water buffalo  and figured those would give me an idea of what the 220 partitions might do in this rifle) And so far i can say that with confidence i would buy the 220 partions for that hunt since accuracy in that weigth was good (not 1/2" @ 100 good)  But easily under 2" @ 100 ..

I have considered trading up to a shilen barrel for this rifle ... Only for longer range work and possible competition .. Factory barrel does just fine for hunting purposes , In fact this rifle took its first deer at 230 to 250 yards with the remmie cor-lokt 180 gr ammo and it flattened the animal with a shoulder hit broad side .. In the end  i have found my rifle to like the heavier bullets ( 180 gr ) for longer ranges  but again this is still an on going project ;)

Hope this helps you a little  , Feel free to ask me more question if you should have them ..

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason