Author Topic: Wannamaker gun show  (Read 1723 times)

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Wannamaker gun show
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »
Anyone going?  What will you be looking for?

A group of us are going.  I expect prices to be high but I have a few guns I would like that are hard to find, so I will keep an eye out for them.  I really don't plan on getting anything other than maybe some ammo and reloading supplies if they have any there.  Of the group I am going with 2 are new shooters and will mostly be trying to help them find guns they like that are in good shape.  Just trying to keep them away from a problem gun, if I can.

Offline snowbelt45

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Wannamaker gun show
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
I'll be going too.  Got to stop by and say "hi" to Ed from Ed's Contenders and see if he has anything I can't live without (which he always has somethig I "really" need)

Also want to stop by and visit with the folks at MGM for a contender barrel that I want to order.

I couldn't believe the number of people giving top dollar for firearms at last fall's show.  That was 4 days after Obama was elected and I think most people were stocking up for what's to come...

I bet it will be a packed house again!

Snowbelt45
Steve B.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:03:09 PM »
Well did anyone make it?

The guys I went with all got guns.  One a custom 10/22, I was a little unhappy to find two of the scope base screws were stripped.  I did a quik fix on them so he could shoot it for a while but told him to get them drilled out and tap to a bigger size.  His brother got a reminton 710 in 30-06.  I tried to talk him into something else but he was on a very tight budget so I told him if he got it I would help him get it to shoot good.  Mostly thinking of floating the barrel but will see how it does as is first.  I tried to talk him into a howa but the 710 had scope and all and was in his budget, so I hope it turns out well.  (also his first gun).

I got a dan wesson 22, I only got to shoot it for a little bit but was  not happy with the groups.  Another member told me of barrels for 15 bucks so I ordered one, it has not got here yet.  I love the gun an am confident it will be a great shooter.

Then my brother in law sold one and bought a glock 17.

What did you guys find?

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »
I went, along with my dad.  He found a used Remington 798 chambered for .308 Winchester with a Pentax 3-9x50 scope mounted.  Forget exactly what he paid for it, but it was an excellent deal.  We weren't able to get out and shoot last weekend, so no idea how it does.  I bought a couple of Mini-14 magazines (1 20 and 1 30 round John Masen) to try out.  Again, didn't get to shoot last weekend, so no idea if they do anything more than lock into the gun yet.  Also received some ProMag Mini-14 mags from Sportsman's Guide last week, so they'll need some testing, too.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:17:49 AM »
I went and walked the entire thing with my wife in tow. Just couldn't find anything I wanted at a reasonable price. I kind of expected that. I did sell some stuff while I was there so it wasn't a complete waste. I enjoyed the displays. Always fun looking at them. Had several dealer buddies who did well up there.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 03:00:50 PM »
I came out pretty good when I went on Sunday.  I was there maybe 15 minutes when my wife called and asked me to come home because she got a viral infection and couldn't take care of the 3 month old girl.  So I asked her to call her mom over for a little while since I just drove 2-1/2 hours and that I would try to hurry, but really wanted to trade or sell off my Rem. 700 in 270 Win.  Well that I did and I ended up with a dandy semi-custom Rem. 700 in 7mm WSM.  Man does it shoot too!  Anyways I was only there till 10:30 and had to leave to head back home to take care of the fam.  I didn't even make it through half the show. ???  I will definitely go next time.  My friend asked me if I wanted to have a table in November.... I said not sure yet... ask me again after I get layed off. :P

Later, Joel
Eat, drink and be merry for soldiers die daily for your freedoms.
Semper Fidelis!