Author Topic: Seating LSWC & shavings  (Read 314 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Seating LSWC & shavings
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:24:23 PM »
I am reloading 38spl cases using Dardas cast bullets, LSWC 158gr., and although I belled the cases like I would for XTP/HP bullets these lead bullets seem to resist the seating slightly and I noticed some very fine lead shaving mixed with bullet lube around the bullet at the cannelure ring. I am seating them just 1/2 way into that cannelure for crimping as the last pass through the die and have not crimped yet.

Is this normal with SWC? These are lubed, a blue lube ring below the cannelure ring, some proprietary lube for Dardas. I tried some with a slightly larger expansion, by running them through the expander die again, but it only made a slight difference. Not every bullet resists but I would guess about 1/3 did. I thought slight variation in size of the bullet at the base and slight variation of the width of the mouth of the case may account for that? Will it make any difference in accuracy? the top of the bullet is not deformed in any way, its a solid flat top not HP.

Thanks.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Seating LSWC & shavings
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »
J, that doesn't SOUND right! There should be noscraping of the sides/bottoms of the bullets UNLESS they are not going in straight. Are these cases relatively new or many times reloaded? Work hardening the brass can cause a few problems. The die could be sizing the brass to small OR the bullet diameter is to varied. Measure the bases to be certain they aren't over sized or out of round to much. This sounds like the problem as only SOME of them are giving you trouble.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
The brass is used, range pickups so I am not sure how many times reloaded. No sharp edges I deburred, etc. as normal. I wondered about the size of the bases and will check that. I wonder about the die too, maybe I need to flare the mouth of the case a little more? I tried to position them as straight as I could as I put it into the shell holder, but some of them went in a little bit crooked I am sure.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »
The package of cast bullets is marked, .38 SWCBB 158gr. .357 and when I measured the base of the bullets I got .356, the same measurement of the XTPs I used before. The inside mouth of a few cases from the same batch which I didn't reload yet was actually .352-.354 so that variance might account for the resistance in seating these cast bullets. I think i need to bell the mouths more in the future to account for this does that seem right?

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »
I believe the only way you could be getting shaving's is like said, either the bullet is entering the case cocked a lot or the case mouth is not belled enough.
I would say the latter.
Put more flare at the case mouth and try again.
That should solve your problem.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
Longtom has the answer.  Bell (flare) the case mouth enough to allow the bullet to be seated without shaving the lead off the bullet.  Then you must crimp the case.  Be careful not to over crimp, as it will shorten the case life.  This is something that you have to determine by trial and error.  Try a light crimp first.  If the bullets move forward when shooting, increase the crimp.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
In the future I will flare the case mouth a little more. I crimped the ones I already made and shot them today.

It was a good feeling to see that I can actually make bullets and they work!

Now I need to evaluate the data. I had 5 sets of 4 each, using Unique, WSP primer, range brass, starting at 3.8gr to 4.2 gr. Max. load was either 4.2 or 4.3 in all the books. The COL was between 1.480-1.490
I had to use a two hand hold without sandbag due to the situation at the range and the frozen ground!

My 3rd target was the most consistent pattern, 2 in the 9 ring, 1 in the 10 ring all three were 1.25" group and the 4th one I pulled on a straight line to the right by about 3". Target #2 had two touching in the 9 ring but the other 2 were way high and way low off the rings altogether. All were at 20yds paced off.

Does it make sense to load some more experimenting with the powder wgt. Target #2 = 3.9gr and Target #3=4.0gr. and see how consistent I can get with those? With this small amount of powder I loaded each set 0.1gr different: 3.8, 3.9, etc. I am weighing each one for this load development.

I might try shooting these off of sticks, at least that would give me some consistent rest rather than shooting offhand!

Joe