Author Topic: Why Hunt With A Boonie Hat?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Why Hunt With A Boonie Hat?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
a fashion statement.

I LIKE you boy... JimmyKimmie   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Mt_Sourdough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Why Hunt With A Boonie Hat?
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »
I often carry 3 or 4 hats into the back country.  One camo boonie, one camo mesh ballcap, one fleece lined stocking cap in camo and one hunters orange stocking cap.  The boonie reduces detectable head movement in comparison to ball cap, but can produce some noise as its wrap around rim can brush against my coat or top of ears.  Both boonie and ball cap can be used to hide eyes when tilted downward casting dark shadow over eyes.  Ball cap is for warm weather or when the climb uphill lasts for multiple hours.  The stocking cap covers ears and back of neck when the temperature drops, but really reduces hearing ability.  The orange stocking cap is worn as soon as an animal is dropped or any time I am not actually in hunt mode.  Oh, I also carry a camo balacava with me as well, because it gets very cold on Montana mountain ridges in late season.  I guess that is 5 hats, stuffed into a pack with multiple coats and extra socks.  Staying warm and dry equals staying alive in the back country.
Gotta git'me a bigger ice box