Author Topic: Bullet containers  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Bullet containers
« on: February 13, 2003, 03:47:12 AM »
I was counting my bullets from Lloyd last night and trying to find better containers than the cardboard boxes he shipped them in and I started digging in the cupboards.  We have some little Gladlock containers, the throw away kind, look like they hold a little more than a cup.  They were perfect for putting the bulets in!  I could label them, see the bullets and they  are plenty sturdy for it, each one held about 60-70 .45 bullets.  They're cheap at Wal-Mart, buy them in multiple packs, either 6 or 8 I think, we got them as wedding shower gifts, just thought I'd pass along the tip, or maybe there's something better out there that I haven't stumbled on yet
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Bullet containers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 03:56:23 AM »
Next time you are at the range, go through the trash can and pick up those plastic inserts for pistol rounds that people throw away.  they work great for casr bullets.

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
those cast jobs will ruin you mind
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 10:37:29 AM »
Hey shooting those cast bullets is real bad for yor health.  Make you go nuts start singing in the shower and do all kinds of bad stuff. :D

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Bullet containers
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 05:36:28 PM »
what i use is the contaners we get when we order in chinese food the large soup works great and very cheep.

Offline TexasMac

• Contributor
Bullet containers
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 07:37:18 PM »
The best containers I've found are the large white plastic bottles for vitamins and other pills we get at our local Sams wholesale store. I've got more of those than I have bullets to fill them with.  They are almost industructable and hold several hundred bullets.
Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
http://www.texas-mac.com
As Warren Miller once said "Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive."

Offline Coydog C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bullet containers
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 05:52:50 AM »
It's gotten to the point that I now only cast bullets for my BPCRs.

Since I'm visually inspecting each bullet, and later sorting by weight, they’re sort of precious to me. So I box them in plastic 100 round cartridge boxes. The see-though kind you can buy from Midway or Cabelas. No sense in casting the “perfect” bullet and then allowing it to get its base dinged rolling around in a container.

Chuck
"Your Mileage May Vary"

Offline Kragman71

• Contributor
bullet containers
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 06:10:11 AM »
Selmer,
I use the plastic boxes that are sold for holding trading cards;they hold 42 45 caliber bullets.
I also use the plastic boxesthat 22 caliber amm come in.
Frank
Frank

Offline TexasMac

• Contributor
Bullet containers
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2003, 06:42:56 AM »
Coydog C., yep I do the same for my BPCR ammo, but I don't worry too much about the hardcast stuff for pistols.
Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
http://www.texas-mac.com
As Warren Miller once said "Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive."

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
Bullet containers
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2003, 07:50:47 AM »
The containers I like, are the ones I get at the grocery store deli. The clear plastic containers that they put potato salad or bean salad in. A few years ago they were made from a brittle plastic that broke easily, but the ones they made the last few years are a tuff plastic that will hold the weight of cast bullets. I like that they are clear and I can find what I'm looking for quicker. The containers that chip dip comes in are good containers, they are not clear, but still work good. The containers that some brands of yogert comes in are good when I need a smaller container, they are about a cup in size. I get teased about my containers when I go to the silhouette range, by the shooters that use the store bought shell boxes that hold the cartridges in neat rows. I have a clear potato salid container filled with loaded cartridges and another clear container for the empty cases. My usual reply to the hecklers, is that the money I save on contianers, allows me to buy a few hundred primers, so I can shoot more.  8)

Offline pjh421

Bullet containers
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2003, 10:10:29 PM »
Mine are stored in primed, charged cartridge cases...but not long.

Paul

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Bullet containers
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 05:36:02 AM »
The best containers I have found for my cast bullet storage are those hard plastic blue boxes that Midway sells.  I don't remember the numbers, but I use a couple of different sizes.

You can buy them in different sizes and they stack nicely and do not squash under the weight nor open if dropped or knocked over.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Bullet containers
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2003, 12:53:07 PM »
I agree nothing has held up better
Quote from: Thomas Krupinski
The best containers I have found for my cast bullet storage are those hard plastic blue boxes that Midway sells.  I don't remember the numbers, but I use a couple of different sizes.

You can buy them in different sizes and they stack nicely and do not squash under the weight nor open if dropped or knocked over.
blue lives matter

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
Bullet containers
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 01:16:57 PM »
Take a look at the kids pencil holder cases when the back to school special happen.  They are plasctic that is tough and has a snap lid.  They go cheap at WalMart and I use them for all kinds of storage.

Hcliff

Offline pjh421

Bullet containers
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 02:49:22 PM »
I put the keepers inside GI ammo cans so they don't get banged up or oxidize.  I don't lube them until just before loading them into cartridges.

Paul

Offline Johm D M

Bullet containers
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2003, 08:16:45 AM »
Lubed bullets go into plastic quart ziplocks stored in 3# coffee cans by caliber. A note goes in [folded ] stating date cast, bhn, lube and sized diameter. Loaded cartriidges are stored bullet down in pl cartridge containers or in bulk zippered bank bags for small pistol  in lots of 2-300 [38,9mm etc]. I like the ziplocks because I can dust with mica and ensure no dirt or dust in lubed bullets. Gianni.

Offline Flapjack

Bullet containers
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2003, 06:15:34 PM »
Johm, Where do you find this "motor mica" everyone talks about. Ive looked all over and cant find it..midway has some powdered mica, but it seems awefully expensive..can you use motor mica to lube case necks also?

Offline Cactus Cris

Bullet containers
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2003, 01:35:15 PM »
I make mine.  I use 1/4" clear or smoke polycarb plexaglass.  Size is about 5x5x6 high.  Put a 1/8" clear lid with plastic hinges and a plastic hasp to keep the lid on.   Also make feeders for brass and bullets that look like bird feeders.  Will hold 500 pc. of 44/40 brass, and 500+ bullets.  Also put lids on them.  Works good fer me and the guys that have them. :grin:
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Johm D M

mica
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2003, 02:18:05 PM »
Flapjack, I have some I bought in a sporting goods store in a mall in Billings, MT. I haven't been back to look again. This was 8 oz of Winchester brand Mica for about 7 $. I've used it for 3-4 years on top of Lyman Black Moly to cut down on the stickiness of the bullets. PS re Johm don't ever try to register when its after midnight and you just finished working 12's. John.

Offline Bug

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
A New One!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2003, 07:04:21 PM »
I sorta accidentally stumbled onto this one. We have one'a them can openers that cuts around the side of the rim, not the top. Makes the lids so's you can put them back on. I'm sure you saw them on TV? Well, now they're in the grocery store for about $5. A tuna can, or similar, makes a pretty good container. They sure make your bullets look neat, all stood-up there & organized-lookin. >>>>>>>>>>Bug.
It's The Little Things That Matter.

Offline Rifled Slug

Bullet containers
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2003, 05:06:39 PM »
I use the clear peanut butter cans with a screw on cap .
Rifled Slug

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Bullet containers
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2003, 05:59:47 PM »
I've got 4 boxes that  brass I ordered from Midway came in. Just  plain cardboard boxes, with the contents labeled on the outside. I keep my cast bullets there, before sizing and lubing. After sizing and lubing, I'll scrounge up any empty bullet boxes I have, label them, and carefully fill them.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Kywoodwrkr

Bullet Containers
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2003, 10:56:39 AM »
My two favorite containers are:
16mm Film containers-small 6-8 inch size and the black 'tupperware' type material containers aerial photographic file came in. They are quite large compared to the metal film containers. They are about 7-8 inches in diameter and between 6 and 7 inches high. They seal like the little tupperware containers.
DaveP
DaveP   Kywoodwrkr

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
Bullet containers
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2003, 05:53:29 PM »
Those Frankford Arsenal boxes at Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/648227 are hard to beat at about 6 bits/box.  I use 'em.  They are even cheaper when you catch a good sale.
WHUT?

Offline JRWHITETAIL

CONTAINERS
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2003, 11:06:50 AM »
HI guys, There are many things you can use. I start with 1# coffee cans, then I use the boxes that other shooters leave at the range. I get sticker shock when I see how mutch people pay for 1 box of ammo. I am verry- verry thrifty. ( CHEEP) I keep my home made lube in baby food jars. I also keep the boxes that my rifle boolets come in. There is also the plastic holders that winchester, and federal put in their rifle boolet boxes.
Praise GOD, and pass the ammo!

Offline Chuck from arkansaw

• Avid Poster
Bullet containers
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2003, 05:37:39 AM »
I put my bullets up in metal 1 gallon paint cans.  The lids keep the dust out. I havn't had anyone run off with any either.

Offline dickwholliday

Bullet containers
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2003, 04:39:15 PM »
go to your local cigar store....they've got all these cute wooden boxes with hinged or slip in lids....normally are 2 or 3 bucks each ....DICK