Author Topic: Gun problem  (Read 486 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Gun problem
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:46:04 AM »
I have a problem and didn't know where to ask.  I have a Marlin 1894 44mag that I recently purchase real cheap.  It came with a Nikon scope with see-through scope mounts.  It is mounted too far back for my tastes, and my son got a bruise from it hitting him in the head.  I removed the scope, but the mounts are screwed down so tight I can get the Allen screws to budge.  I put liquid wrench on them to no avail.  So I am assuming they have red Loktite on them.  How can I remove them?  I know they make a Loktite remover, but it seems it would have to have a crack big enough to penetrate.  I just wanted to put a peep sight on it since it has a short range.  I does however shoot well. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Gun problem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:51:01 AM »
Carefully warm them up.  The Loc-Tite will let go.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 05:03:12 AM »
Try using a soldering iron.Put the tip on the screw.Heat and do one at a time.The heat should let the loktite let go.Wont hurt the gun this way.Slow
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:09:43 AM »
Carefully warm them up.  The Loc-Tite will let go.

DITTO!

I had to do this twice on a Bushnell Trophy atop a RSB twice this fall...a common hair dryer provided plenty of heat although I did use a potholder to protect the main recticle body. That aluminum heats up plenty fast and it really doesn't take that long.

Once you get everything dissassembled the common aerosol brake parts cleaner can be used to scavange up the residual lock-tight with no harm done to the ring finish, screw heads & threads, on the finish. I did wipe these down quickly but the cleaner evaporates quickly.

Edit: I like the soldering iron idea as well

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:29:22 AM »
Thanks, never thought about heat.  I have a soldering iron. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:34:03 AM »
if that dosen't work drill them out with a bit just smaller than the threads
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 05:45:57 AM »
I was afraid I was going to have to drill the screws out, but do you happen to know the screw size.  Also, what kind of drill bit would I have to use.  All I have is a couple of hand drills, so shouldn't I let someone with a drill press do it so as not to damage the threads in the rifle?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »
not sure of bit size . What i have noticed is the bottom of the head sticks and as you drill thru. the head it offten times pops off . More times than not the base will come off leaving some of the thread sticking out and either fingers or needle nose pliers can remove it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:14:15 AM »
Yes, someone else recommended drilling off the heads, remove the mounts, then drill out the remaining pieces if possible.  By that time Loktite remover may disolve the Loktite for easier removal.  Hope the heat trick works.  Will try it this weekend. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 06:21:47 AM »
I've drilled the heads off & then popped the base off & used Vise-grips on the screw shanks to get the rest out.  I wouldn't drill down into the receiver if I were you.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:25:14 AM »
Just realised something, I can access the screw threads from the bottom with Loktite remover from inside the receiver.  Will try that first along with heat and see what happens.  I will try asap but will probably be next week.