Author Topic: OE 45-70 "Special" followed me home yesterday  (Read 762 times)

Offline Three Bears

• Trade Count: (4)
OE 45-70 "Special" followed me home yesterday
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »
After reading about Handi's and making some post on GB I came across this forum and read a lot about OE.  I called Mark at CVA and discussed the OE 45-70 "special"  - on this model you can not change barrels - easily.  CVA makes this "Special" for the "Primitive" weapons season in Louisiana and Mississippi.  I already have other centerfire and ML rifles. Bought it at Security Sporting Goods in Alexandria, La(drove 65 miles to get there - live in rural LA) $255.00 - $20 more then the Handi.... Best I could do for around here.  Have a Lee 340gr mold and will work on a load - anyone loaded this one?  I am enjoying this site and your help...   

Offline highwayman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: OE 45-70 "Special" followed me home yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:06:51 AM »
i started to buy a in line ml so i could put a scope on it. i was still shooting a side lock but i am getting older and my eye site is not what it use to be and i was losing the sights at dark. a friend of mine was showing me his oe 45-70 and at first i didn't like it. another friend bought a handy rifle same cal. we went and sighted the rifle in and i started to like it. i was a little nervous about recoil. i called the guy with the oe and had him come out and i shot his. to me it really beat the handy. so i went to bowie outfitters in baton rouge and and bought one. i start using my during gun season and could not been more happy with it. i am shooting le.ammo. 2 shots 2 dead deer.

Offline Three Bears

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:53:27 AM »
Highwayman - good shooting...  2 for 2  AaaaEeeee!!!  What load are you shooting?

Offline highwayman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
the only one i  tried. 325gr ftx leverevolution. makes a big hole. no deer went past 40 yards. but my nephew swears he can do better.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:27:04 AM »
I'm happy with my oe,and I've had the handi 45 70 also.It beats the Handi in the recoil department,and the muzzle climb part. My loads are chronoing in the 2366 fps. range with a 300 gr. bullet,and the recoil is about like the Handi with trapdoor loads.Mine is the 26" bull barrel and is alot of fun to shoot.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017