Author Topic: Best hot sauce?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Best hot sauce?
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »
I think it's hard to beat good old Tabasco, but I have tried some others that I like. It's a minefield out there, with some being pretty bad. What's your favorite hot sauce?

I have tried all the different Tabsasco sauces and the only one I like is the original.

Have you tried Tiger Sauce? Is it any good?

Some good ones I've tried are Cajun Sunshine and Yucatan Sunshine. With the Yucatan don't be put off by the habanero content, it's not overpoweringly hot, and it has good flavor too.
Safety first

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
Re: Best hot sauce?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »
For heat I like Dave's Insanity Sauce. However my favorite is Scorned Woman. About half as hot as Dave's Insanity Sauce, but much more flaver.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »
Tiger sauce is great. I've been using it for years on shrimp and scallops. I do not like it at all on meat or chicken.

The best hot sauce for chicken and meat for me is Franks Hot Sauce.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »
I haven't met a hot sauce yet I didn't like. BUT some are sure hard to handle, I think all in all the ones like tabasco (My fav to) Frank Texas Pete and the like are the best.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Buckhammer74

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:26:08 PM »
I have always been a big fan of all things hot. I never thought there was a sauce out there I couldn't handle...until I put 3 drops of Daves ULTIMATE insanity sauce on a wing...HOLY S!$T!!! that stuff is not fit for human consumption!

That being said, my favorite for pure flavor is good old original Tabasco.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:39:24 PM »
All hot sauces are not all too everything you eat.
I like the different flavors of Tabasco on different food items. For instance, on oysters I really like their Chipotle.
I also am not a big fan of HOT. I like spicey flavors that are warm and flavorful.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »
Dave's Insanity is by far the hottest I have ever experienced.   So hot I forget about any flavor.   

For flavor I love all the Tabasco's, green and original. 

Also fond of Tiger Sauce on shellfish.
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Skunk

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »
Original Tabasco Sauce
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
Never heard of most of those sauces you guys talk about. We've tried several different ones and like FRANKS hot sauce the best. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »
Years ago when I was young and dumb, I loved the HOT stuff, now I keep Tabasco at the house and deer camp, but the one I like the best is the "LOUISIANA" brand with the red dot circle on the label, its cheap and it's the same thing you buy for $2.00-$3.00 per bottle with a wild name and label on the bottle, I know they sell it here all over the south, if you guys up north and west want to try it pm me I'll send you a bottle, it's hot but not a real hot mouth burning sauce, you can use it to cook with and a dipping sauce, it's  great with cheese and crackers and Vienna sausage.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »
I keep Tabasco at the house and deer camp, but the one I like the best is the "LOUISIANA" brand...I know they sell it here all over the south, if you guys up north...want to try it pm me I'll send you a bottle...

Ro,

Actually, Louisiana brand is available up here (Northern Wisconsin). The wife buys it every once in awhile and it goes over very well. You're right, it's not all that HOT, and it goes well with just about anything. Problem is, not being so hot, it gets used by everyone on everything and it's hard to keep a bottle of it in the house. Now Tabasco is much hotter and the wimp mouths around my house won't use as much of it, so a bottle of it last me much longer. That makes me happy. :D 
Mike

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 11:29:17 PM »
I never considered the original "Tabasco" that hot, but, certainly hotter than a most of their other offerings.
I like them all and each one seems to fit different foods better. I like their pepper sauce on some veggies and greens and peas.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:57 PM »
I much prefer the flavor and "heat" of what use to be "Durkee's Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce", but is now Frank's Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce for most applications like Buffalo Hot Chicken Wings.

I add a tablespoon of "Frank's" to most of my chicken-based soup recipes or two tablespoons of "Frank's" to most of my beef-based soup recipes (usually make 6-8 quarts of soup at a time) to "strengthen" their flavor.  However, I never add so much to my soups that you can taste the "hot"... I just want the "deeper" flavor it gives soups.

However, I use the original Tabasco Sauce in my shrimp sauce for extra "heat"  in my "OMG" shrimp sauce... along with hot horseraddish.   :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 04:11:56 PM »
TEXAS PETE is my favorite.  Funny thing is I don't think it comes from Texas but North Carolina I think.  It's got a tangy mild heat to it.  Makes fried chicken even better.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »
If you haven't had it you need to try "El Yucatece Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero".  Hot but with a wonderful flavor.  It goes well any place you would normally use a hot sauce.  Don't be fooled by the name, it is not the Tex-Mex style of salsa, but a true hot sauce like Tabasco. 

I have to agree with williamlayton on the Tabaso on oysters, raw oysters just ain't oysters without a good ole saltine, tabasco and a cold beer.

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 12:23:17 AM »
30-30 man, I also use a lot of Texas Pete. Not my favorite, but pretty good. And yes, they do make it in North Carolina. Just down the road in Winston Salem.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline Skunk

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 03:35:03 AM »
My oldest daughter got me a bottle of this stuff out in Vegas when she and my son-in-law were on their honeymoon in 2002. I just finished the bottle a few weeks ago. Lasted me around 7 years. This stuff was definitely "1 drop" at a time or face the consequences:

Edit: spelling
Mike

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 03:42:49 AM »
That stuff looks like it would burn you twice!
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Skunk

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 03:52:15 AM »
That stuff looks like it would burn you twice!

It was really hot. It was habanero based, but after looking on the internet, I found some others that are supposed to make Hot Sauce From Hell seem like ice water. I wouldn't even interested in trying those.  :D
Mike

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 04:39:30 AM »
I've tried a lot of them with fancy names and claims that they were hotter than others.  I find that most are just heat, and no flavor.  I like several of the less expensive supermarket types.  Chaloula (probably spelled wrong) is probably my favorite.  I also like Durkee's red hot, louisiana, and texas pete.  there is also one sold under the Jim Beam name that is a little hotter, but still has a lot of flavor. 

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Questor

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 04:41:53 AM »
I hate those hot-for-heat's-sake sauces. My wife used to think that I used hot sauce just for the heat so she got me some really hot stuff one time. I tried it onces and threw it out.

I don't want to come across as having a special interest, but I did try the Cajun Sunshine this weekend for the first time. It's really good. Great flavor.
Safety first

Offline Westbound

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 06:53:38 AM »
Here in Texas we are blessed with grocery stores carrying a major assortment of hot sauces.
I've found that the most basic are usually the best.  Look at what the locals eat in Louisiana...   Louisiana Hot Sauce, and Tabasco.
The mexicans around here eat Cholula's and Valentina's

Cholula's is milder, but has an incredible flavor.  Valentina's is hotter, but still has a good flavor.  Either of these sauces get used in beans, on eggs, in marinades, and any other food I can think of.  Good stuff!!!

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 07:54:13 AM »
Louisiana Hot sauce for me and the wife. Last summer I came up with a good hot sauce out of the garden. Right mixture of Hungarian hot and jalapeno peppers, red and green tomatoe's and tomatio's. Usually I add too many of the hot peppers and we have to cut it down, or spread it out, only once, I didn't add enough, and it was more like a mild tomato sauce. Have fun always trying. One of these days I'll write down how much I put in.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »
I keep a bottle of Cholula sauce and Tobasco Green in my desk drawer (else
it disappears too soon) at work, keep a pint bottle of Valentina in the frig.
three people here at work like all three very well.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 08:36:16 PM »
I think of Tabasco as more of a spice like salt or pepper. In my opinion Crystal brand has a better taste than tabasco. Now hot sauce lets talk El Yucatan. Red or green, pick your poison. Heat with a good flavour. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline Dee

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 02:07:31 AM »
A little company in North Central Texas, north of Bonham, Texas (Telephone, Texas) makes one called "Hell on the Red". It just don't get no better than what they put in those jars. ;)
Some Wal-Mart Super Stores sell it. Try it out if you can find it. I don't know how far out they distribute.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Westbound

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 05:02:51 AM »
Hell on the Red is some real good hot sauce!

Offline Skunk

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »
Some very good suggestions here for a Hot Sauce fan. I'm going to be on the look out for some of that Hell on the Red.
Mike

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 05:18:11 AM »
HELL ON THE RED is good, haven't seen it lately will have to look, they made some good salsa also.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »
for flavor Cholula chili garlic is really good i also like tapatio`.