Author Topic: Question for CVA Buffs  (Read 1101 times)

Offline walmpus

• Trade Count: (0)
Question for CVA Buffs
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
Hello all,

I have a kodiak .45 that I have never really been satisified with. I bought a blue/black model that was sent to CVA so many times because of function/safety problems that CVA just kept it and sent me a new nickel model with a camo stock. Well, by the time I got my new gun my enthusiasm was watered down. So its sat in my closet for about 3 years now.

So I am wondering if this gun is even worth messing with (i dont want any headaches), should I get rid of it, or give CVA one more try and get a new ACCURA? CVA is really the only company left that still makes a .45.............but from what I have seen with CVA making strides, their prices have came right along with them.

So anyone who has been using or had experience with CVA for along time..............I could sure use some input here. Its nothing personal, I dont want to waste my time and I dont have any money to waste either. So if anyone has been down this road with CVA please fill me in!

Thanks,
WCB

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Question for CVA Buffs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »
why not give it a try??

the new accura's are awesome, i own the original and the new V2 Accura

Offline walmpus

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 07:09:01 AM »
which one do you like better.........the original or V2?

Offline walmpus

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:14:24 AM »
OH yeah I forgot....which one has the best trigger pull? That has been a touchy subject for me. The kodiak I have........the trigger is just brutal.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:39:20 AM »
The V2 has an adjustable trigger while the Accura is preset at around 2lbs give or take.  Both triggers are equal though. No grit or creep, break smooth like glass.

The V2 has the Rubber grip plans and Soft touch applied to the stock, IMO the handling and rock solid feel on the rifle is simply amazing.

You cant go wrong with either one.

Offline walmpus

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:39:49 AM »
Thanks for the input. I have a bass pro down the street that I will check them out at. I think the main problem is I have a .50 huntsman and its just ruined me :)

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »
basspro normally is the most expensive when it comes to selling guns. But i do highly suggest that you go down there and handle the new Optima The new Wolf and the Accura's if they have them.

Offline teddybaham

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 06:12:36 PM »
well i know im new to the cva forum. ive had a cva optimo pro .50 cal for about 5 years. its nickel with camo thumbhole stock. the way the stock is designed there is little felt recoil. pretty accurate for a muzzleloader and on occasion had holes touching at 100 yards. was my favorite gun because right after bow season i still had the deer patterned pretty well and was gaurunteed a kill on the opening day hahaha. but i got tired of unloading, cleaning, bla bla bla. as often as i hunt (somtimes 3 times a week) it would get to get tedious since im a stickler for clean guns. athough it was easy to clean it was still a chore. so my wife bought me a 45-70 handi (legal for black powder in LA) i was getting consistant 1" or less froupd with hornady ammo. seeing this as a substitute in busy weeks not a replacement for my smoke pole i was delighted with its performance. now my wife is a wise woman in her ripe age of 25 (im 26) and her warning rang true that i should stay out of outfitters, bass pro, and gun stores because i do have an illness that will one day be recognized by the medical community, but not treated or cured. i laid eyes on the new cva apex. this beauty is incredibly well built. the fit the finnish and ergonomics of the gun are impressive. i researched online and was especially intrested in mark (censored word)'s website who has been in the business of customizing and accuring the tc's for years and who is now endorsing the apex, i decided to take another look. as a dumb move i took the cash with me when i went. as having some respect for thompson center in the single shot industry i decided to do a comparrison first i held the guns. the tc was noticably lighter a plus when walking. next the shouldering. the apex was absoloutly a better fit for me and my frame and was just natural to hold. but this is just a personal preference not a fact that one is better than the other. next was the trigger. the apex won again with a fully adjustable (mine 2.15lbs) with ) zero creep and has a crisp break. the final deal maker or in this case breaker was when i opend the guns. the trigger gaurd was smooth and when i opened it the was like the pin was made of glass, when i closed it it locked up tight with a pleasurable dull thud and was as solid as if it were welded. when i did the same with the tc i was impressed with the opening but upon closing it han a higher pitched snap and even made a  vibrating noise in the forearm. but the final deal breaker i didnt even noticed as was pointed out by the gun shop owner. he opened the gun and not only could i feel the slop when i held it but when he moved the barell side to side i could see it and hear it. i couldnt belive a reputable company like tc could have sloppy workmanship in there product, i was truly shocked, even more shocked the shop owner who would have made a larger sale had pointed it out. so to make a long story short im the proud new owner of a new cva apex in 35 whelen. range report coming. if looking for a muzzle loader there bareels are far superior to teh tc also i suggest you take a look at them on there website and look at some videos on youtube.

what part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand???

Offline Whopper

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »
I stepped up to the plate last year and bought a new CVA Accura 50 cal. that Cabelas had on sale. After shooting the old cap and ball style for years I swore that I'd never own an inline, but I just couldn't resist any longer. My first day at the range showed me that I had done good. My first three shots at 50 yards with open sights were touching. No sight adjustment needed! I fired three more rounds with the same results so I decided to move over to the 100 yard range. Low and behold it did it again! First three shots at 100 yards could be covered by a lid from a snuff can!!! I am using two White Hot pellets and a 240 gr. sabot hollow point and will continue to do so as long as I can buy them. I was very impressed at how this gun felt in my hands and how it handled the recoil. It is light enough to carry all day and handles rough weather very well. An added benefit is that I no longer have to waste a round at the end of the day if I don't bag a deer. I just simply pull the primer, open up the breech plug and use the rod to push the sabot and pellets out the receiver end. This gun is so easy to use and I think you will be pleased once you have one. Good luck and happy hunting. Whopper.