Author Topic: High Grade Md 63  (Read 609 times)

Offline Bill,SC

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
High Grade Md 63
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »
At a gun show last weekend I saw a Md 63 engraved with a squirrel on one side and---I can't remember what was on the other side.  It appeared to be one of the 1990's repo.  The engraving was clearly done by a machine---my openion.  BUT, the seller claimed it was from the 1930's and was very rare.  His asking price was $8500.  No, I did not buy.  Has anybody had any experience with one of the older 63's with factory engraving?  Could the gun have been an older product?
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe, Hunter Education

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: High Grade Md 63
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
Well........For starters, the 90's repros were made and marked by Miroku, while the earlier, originals were made & marked "Winchester" only - and, yes, some were factory engraved on special order through the Winchester Custom Shop of the day.

IIRC, the later Hi-Grade Browning/Winchester repros (all models) made by Miroku copied original Winchester engraving patterns - so, as long as the buyer knows exactly what a genuine Winchester engraving pattern looks like, they're golden, when checking out an engraved oldie.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Bill,SC

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:21:23 AM »
Thank you!  I should have known to look for the Miroku label.  There was no gold, color or inlay, on the engraving.  The $8000 price tag shocked me.  I know the prices have gone up, but not that much.
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe, Hunter Education

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 04:15:03 PM »
A genuine, factory engraved example, in pristine condition, can easily bring that kind of money today.

For someboby who wants a gennie, there's no other choice - especially since many refuse to go Oriental.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !