Author Topic: WHAT I LOOK FOR WHEN PURCASING A GUN  (Read 436 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
WHAT I LOOK FOR WHEN PURCASING A GUN
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
DISCLAIMER: I am not unlike another. I have my desires and prefrerences. I am far from an expert but not a novice. I have made mistakes and learned.

Buying a gun is not hard. Go to any GOOD gun store and start salivating. It is like buying a car. Go too a dealer and they got a bunch.
I have bought guns on a whim, my FM 5.7x28 is an example. Went looking for one thing an found it. In some ways I regret the purchase, I then had to wait til I could round up some more money and start my original search over. On the other hand, I sure do like shooting it. It is a fine plinker and I don't have plans for selling it.
I bought a German PPK because of the beauty. It is original blue and not fired. It will stay that way and I love the way it looks.
Most of the time I have a plan.
I found myself reading a lot about the 9x23 a number of years ago. I was intrigued by the hype, the caliber and balistics. I determined I wanted one. There was a problem though. They were hard too locate. I could have one built but the fund$$$$ were not there. I studied the situation for a long time. Then one day I made a call too Dave at Dawson percision. He is an avid IDPA participant.
I asked him about what he understood about the 9x23 and he said he owned one and shot competition with his. Mine was not about competion. I asked him about taking a 9MM STI Trojan and punching it out. He said he would talk too Dawson and call me back. Turns out that just a minor part here and there and some adjustment would make it very do able plus the reaming. That is how I came about the 9x23.
I wanted a BBQ gun. I looked and studied, contacted craftsmen, gunsmiths and was making plans for a pretty expensive showdown on the BBQ circuit. The thing was, I was just buying a show gun if it was not reliable.
HUMMMMM, more $$$$$$'s.
I am lucky and unlucky to have a very good gunstore here in Houston callled Collectors  Firearms. If you want it they got it or can find it, from WWII collectables too the OLD WEST. They are a pricey gun shop----BUTTTT, they got it.
I had seen an engraved 70 series Colt with real Ivory grips in there for a while. I went back and, in the same spot on the back right of the Island, there it was. It was XXXXXX$$$$$$$'s. No deal today check me agin in a year or two was the reply. I asked if I was allowed too cuss him while I payed. He said sure, any name I wanted too use.
Now I had already checked with a gunsmith of local reputation, Vandenberg, about the need to customize the gun if I bought it. I took it too him, I had made a deal that I could get my money back if It could not be worked on without doing damage to the engraving. Vandenberg assured me That he could lower and flare it plus checker the front strap witout noticable changes to the engraving.
That is how I came about the BBQ gun.
Ever weapon I own, not the ones inherited or the whimsical purchase, have a purpose.
The light weight wheel gun under the matress, and sometimes, in the pocket have a purpose and a reason to want the the weapon.
My Sigs were purchased under the same criteria.They work and they fit the desire.
Sharonanne went thru this thinking some bit ago and my thinking follows her's, if not for the same purpose, the same end results.
My new lighweight Commander was the same type of project.
I have purchased several, when I was younger, a Colt Mustang is a constant reminder, that were mistakes---OH, WELL.
Don't ask us what YOU want. Think about the purpose. Ask about a specific. Research it. You will like it a lot better and, if you don't, then you have learned. 
Just how I do it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: WHAT I LOOK FOR WHEN PURCASING A GUN
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:04:38 AM »
YEP,YEP!!
I agree.  The thing is, you can't really make a decision until you actually handle the gun and find out if you like the balance and if it "feels right" in your hand.  I lost a lot of $$$ on a deal one time because of that.  I ended up selling a NIB 870 Junior 20ga back to Gander and takin a big hit on it, just because "I hated the way it felt in my hands".  That's the day I bought my 2nd H&R shot gun and now I have a few of them.
And, you're right, I learned.  When I went to get my FIRST pistol, I fired a Taurus 22lr revolver, then the Buckmark.  Hands down, the Buckmark won out.  I still want a revolver in 22lr, but it probably won't be a Taurus.  Just don't like the feel of it.
I kind of got spoiled on the semi autos.  I haven't gotten one yet and haven't handled that many of them, but the one that has felt the most comfortable, so far, was a full frame EAA 10mm.  ;D  I'd feel like "The Runt" in High Plains Drifter.  Stumpy little me with that great big gun.  :o

Like you say, do your research, then, JUST DO IT!

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36:25 AM »
I enjoyed reading both posts.  Kinda how I buy, mostly.  And if you buy wrong, you can still recover.  If you think it's a good deal, you can bet, someone else will too. 

One thing for sure, if you put it off too long, you won't get another chance.  There is no encore after the final curtain drops, at least not here.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 08:34:43 AM »
As already said <  excellant posts and reading.    Sounds like me too ...all too often I go to "look" and find something I like , next morning I wake up and discover it in my safe....dunno how it got there  ;D  And I'm still making mistakes , Now, though, I just don't hone up to it.....figure my boys will someday know what to do with all my mistakes.    Regards

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »
It's probably a good thing I don't have a lot of money, I can walk away from most temptations at the gun counter.  I've woken up to find new guns in my safe only twice in the past 6 months. 

The problem I'm facing right now is finding the money to 'feed' all the ones I have a steady diet due to the crazy price jump ammo has taken lately :D

As long as the Obama admin. doesn't outlaw them outright guns are one of the better investments one can make right now.  I've seen a few guns identical to ones I own recently sell for more than twice what I payed for them when I originally purchased them.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC