Author Topic: trigger finger placement  (Read 1041 times)

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
trigger finger placement
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »
I've been reading an informative book on revolvers the past few months. One thing that bothers me , the author is suggesting the proper trigger finger placement is at the first joint of the index finger.......he claims more leverage and more senisativity at that location.  After readinge  that , it occured to me , I've seen that type of finger placement on the TV program " Wednesday nite at the range" on the outdoor channel.  They'll show some dude with his finger sticking clear through the trigger guard....thought he didn't know how to shoot.  Here it must be me....?  I've always placed the pad of my trigger finger on the trigger..not the joint...  Now I've never had any " proper training " in shooting.  I had the old fashioned type training...Dad telling me " watch that muzzel "  or open that action , or, is that thing loaded ?  Anyway , just curious , where do some of you put your trigger finger ? 

regards  irold

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: trigger finger placement
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
Center of the tip for me.
I had to go to the gun room and grab a couple revolvers and an auto to make sure.
I think the first joint give you too much curl to the gun to be accurate at any distance.

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »
Not really a right way and wrong way, too many variables such as action type, size of hands, size of gun, length of fingers.
For me, when I shoot a DA revolver it's the first joint.  Usually with a DA auto it's "close" to the first joint because often it's a longer reach to the trigger.  SA auto or SA revolver it's on the pad.

I find (for me) I have much better control on a DA revolver with the better leverage of the first joint placement. 
If the placement you're using works for you then it's the correct method!

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
Shooting from bench or competition type I've always used middle flat of the first finger.  When doing action or off hand hunting shooting/practice, I use the crook of the finger.  Typically, I'm wearing gloves during hunting and not going for a 1" group, just one placed well.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »
Interesting....since reading and watching ....I've tried the first joint method..nope , don't work for me.  Too many years of "middle of the pad" for me. Didn't really realize , but I must have short stubby fingers.  When trying to use the first joint on my redhawk ( factory Hogue grips ), I can't even come close to using the joint of my trigger finger.

Woodduck ,  I agree , when trying to use the joint,, seems to pull the sights for me .

Spruce ...seems odd you'd have better leverage using a " shorter " finger.  Usually the longer the lever the less force needed to move an object.  But ...if it works for you....by all means.

Thanks for the replies
regards irold

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »
irold - the shorter the distance between the fulcrum (your finger's second joint) and the weight (the trigger) the more leverage you have.

If you notice, your first joint doesn't bend very much during a normal trigger pull.  The muscles controlling the bend of the second joint provide most of the power.

Kind of a moot point though.  Like I said - whatever works for you is the right way!

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
I shoot a TC Encore 22-250x 15" pistol. Shooting off sand bags I noticed using the first joint on the index finger the gun was torquing when applying pressure, switched to the middle pad and all was well. I just slower curl my finger and when it starts getting fat she goes off, straight and true.

Offline PAHUnter04

• The Hunters Hut
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Hunters Hut
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
Spruce hits the nail on the head in both his posts. It DEPENDS on the pistol, the grip, single action, double action, length of pull, breaking trigger weight release and so on.

I just got an SA XDM in .40 cal. It has the adjustable backstrap. The smallest backstrap felt the best in my hand, but at the range my trigger finger was to close. Thus I was forcing the squeeze and pulling my shots to the left, ALL THE TIME.

Finally I benched the gun and realized it shot great. But off hand it was me. Solution change the back strap, wider grip, less finger on the trigger, more even pull.

PAH
The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Accesories
PAHunter04... The Head Hunter... Jim P
email: headhunter-1@hotmail.com

Offline Glock Doctor

• Glock Magic!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:26:12 PM »
So, how did you like Ayoob's book?   ;D

Double-action revolver shooting, as well as all shooting with a small(er) frame semiautomatic, requires using your trigger finger's, 'distal joint' - or as near to the distal joint as possible on YOUR hand - in order to skillfully place your shots close to COM without stringing them to either the right or the left. 

‘Life Is Karma.  It Reflects Both Past And Present Circumstance.  Our Time Here Is Short; So Choose Carefully And Behave Well; For, All Of Your Tomorrows Are Presently Being Decided.’

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:16:23 AM »
So, how did you like Ayoob's book?   ;D

Double-action revolver shooting, as well as all shooting with a small(er) frame semiautomatic, requires using your trigger finger's, 'distal joint' - or as near to the distal joint as possible on YOUR hand - in order to skillfully place your shots close to COM without stringing them to either the right or the left. 
There is a difference between what Ayoob teaches for practical self defense and not target or hunting.
What Ayoob teaches is so that you can get fast multiple hits to save your life and what Bullesye teaches is consistancy to move the gun as little as possible.  I think there is a huge difference and one can be taught to shoot bullseye and then learn practical, but it is hard to go the other way.
Ayoob a 3" group is fine under stress at 50'
For a bullseye shooter a 3" group looses the match at 50'

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »
I have a tendancy to pull shots low and left--if I don't watch it.
I actually don't know if this is because I shoot with the pad and not the joint.
I do know that I have a high grip and have speculated that this is the problem.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
Mcwoodduck ,  agree 100 %.  As stated before , I have no formal training, but I can generally hit what I'm pointing at.... ;D   Perhaps a little bullheaded on my part , but I find some of the " teachings " just don't work for me.

Bill....yea , I tend to pull everywhere at times....if I miss , it tends to be low right for me....unless on a timer...then I tend to fire high right.. :-\   Other day , I was burning some ammo at some silhouettes....moved to with-in 10yds and cut loose with a newly aquired model 66...4 of the 6 were clustered in the center mass with the remaining 2 about 2 inches high and right....couldn't believe it....just grinned , as I walked back to the truck  8)    Every squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile !

regards, irold

Offline reliquary

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »
One day back in the Dark Ages, I was birdhunting in northern KS and dropped every bird I shot at.  Until my hunting buddy asked me, "How are you doing that?"  Then I started trying to figure out what I was doing,  and I missed the next 6 or 7 birds.
I never thought, before, about where on the finger I place the trigger, but it looks and feels normal to me to use the middle of the pad on the first joint of the trigger finger for everything I can lay hands on at short notice tonight.
When I pull a pistol shot, it goes low and left because I squeeze the whole hand, like milking a cow...I'm right-handed.