Author Topic: delete  (Read 491 times)

Offline Coleman

• Trade Count: (5)
delete
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:02:16 AM »
deleted
There is nothing more important in my life than my three younguns!

Offline Tn Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Questions on a great 7mm-08 hand load.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:19 AM »
Congrats on the new gun, Coleman. Here is the load I use in my Encore. Remington case, Winchester standard large rifle primer, 45.8 grains of IMR-4350 (max is 46), and a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Overall length of mine is 2.840, but yours might be shorter due to the magazine. This load will shoot under an inch if I do my part. Every deer I have hit with this load was pretty much dead on the spot, but one did run about 35 yards. ;)
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:50:19 AM »
Or you can load 42 grains of Varget with a 140 grain GameKing and a Federal GM210m primer.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:54:41 AM »
I use a max load of Varget, with rem cases, 140 gr. Accubond, and Fed 210 Match primers. Good luck, I'm sure you will find a good combination that works great in your rifle. :)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:09:01 AM »
You might get close but you will NOT match that load for velocity and if you do KNOW that you have exceeded safe pressure levels. I've shot both the LM SST and the BTSP and have chosen the latter as my primary ammo of choice for the 7-08. It has proven to shoot sub inch groups at 100 yards from every 7-08 rifle I've ever owned including the original M7 with 18.5" barrel that is now my wife's. The significance of that is that it is the ONLY load to ever do that. Few do better than 1.5" in that rifle tho it has never ever failed to make a one shot kill any time the trigger has been pulled with three of us using it over the many years it has been here.

I've had equally good luck with Remington factory ammo using their 140 core-loct bullets and it is right on the heels of the Hornady LM for velocity as well. The only other bullet I've used on game in the 7-08 is the Nosler 140 BT. I must say it worked but sure took a "strange turn" in that deer a 90 degree turn in fact and ended up in the spine far from the intended path but it worked.

For deer the bullets I'd look to these days if I were gonna reload the round (which I'm not as long as Hornady makes those LM loads) would be the Hornady Interbond 139 and 154 grain and Nosler 140 AB and PT and maybe their 150 PT and 160 AB. I don't believe anyone makes better bullets in 7mm for the 7-08 than those and I'd start and end my search for a bullet to reload with that group.

As for powder W760 has given me the best combination of velocity and accuracy but is very temperature sensitive so work the loads up in hot weather and shoot in cool weather NOT the other way around. Varget is an excellent choice.

I must say tho that until Hornady stops making that super fast and accurate LM ammo I will not likely be using reloads for hunting. If they'd use the newer IB bullet I would switch to it over the older interlock however.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Luckyducker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »
I traded for a Rem. Model 7 CDL in 7-08 w/20" barrel for my daugher and the load I settled on for it is Win. brass, CCI standard large rifle primer, and 41.5 grains of IMR 4064 pushing a 139 grain Hornady Spitzer bullet seated about .010" off the lands.   This load in her little rifle will put three rounds touching at 100 yds. on a good day.   I have never been a 7mm fan although I have had a couple of different 7mm rifles, but this little rifle/cartridge has me wanting one........well maybe someday.

Offline deerjackie

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »
and maybe,just maybe, it will shoot with the 25-06 !;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  thanks ya ll for the help.i have nt researched the 7-08 any but i am sure i will have him reloading while i observe from the captains chair. ;D ;D ;D ;D thanks for everything graybeard!dj
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:48:23 AM »
 The varying posts so far have one thing in common. (They are all different!)Its something I have told people for years. I can tell you what my rifle likes and some one else will tell you what there rifle likes. Its what the RIFLE LIKES that counts. Since your buddie is a re-loader he will likely have a couple powders to try. Do that, let the rifle tell you what it will do.

Personally I loaded the Hornady 154 RN and H335 powder in my Ruger to good results.

My suggestion for powders to try will be IMR 4064, 4320 and 4895. Also Varget, W760, H335, RL15 have all been good performers in the 308 class of cartridges.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline BrianU

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »
I have been hunting with a 7mm-08 since 1988 and my go-to load has been Nosler 140 grain Partitions.  I used IMR 4064 and off the top of my head, I am not 100% on exactly how much, so I will not post it, but got just slightly over 2800fps out of my Model 700's 22" barrel.  That rifle will consistently shoot that load into a group that can be covered by nickel and using the same load, but substituting the Partition for a similar weight Ballistic Tip, it will do even better.  However I have never hunted with the Ballistic Tip.  Last year, I used up the last box of partitions I had loaded, so I have decided to try something different.  I bought a can of Varget and some Nosler 140 grain Accubonds.  I have heard Varget is outstanding in the .308 size case and is not as temperature sensitive as some of the standard IMR stick powders.

Brian 

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 03:51:13 AM »
I have killed a bunch of deer with 140 Ballistic Tips, but recently switched to the same weight Accubonds. I have always used a max charge of WW 760 in my loads. I have also had success loading Varget and IMR-4350. I'll probably switch to one of those powders because the 7mm-08 is the only rifle I use 760 to load. That will take a while, because the 7mm-08 is a Remington Model 7 (18.5" barrel) that only gets shot around 15 times a year, sighting in and deer hunting.
Will

Offline Coleman

delete
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 04:27:10 AM »
deleted
There is nothing more important in my life than my three younguns!