Author Topic: Shortening a Barrel  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Shortening a Barrel
« on: February 16, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
Ok, so, I know it's legal to shorten long guns, as long as you follow the rules.  Can you do the same with a revolvers?  Is it legal to take a 10" barrel down to 4" or 6"??  Or, go the other way and take a 2 1/2" barrel out to a 4" or 6"??

Also, is it possible to PURCHASE LEGAL PERMITS to modify a 410 O/U into a pistol??

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Shortening a Barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
As far as the pistol barrel length's, it is leagal to go wither way.

As for the O/U you may want to call BATF on that one.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:22:53 AM »
If the gun was originally built as a handgun it remains a handgun regardless of barrel length, the only thing you cannot do is to add a buttstock to a handgun. If the gun was originally built as a long gun, you cannot cut the barrel shorter than 16" if rifled or 18" if shotgun and you cannot reduce the overall length to less than 26".
 Could one obtain permission from the BATFE to do any of the above? Perhaps, but I'm sure it would be a long drawn out and expensive process. ::)
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:41:04 AM »
I think as long as your 410 barrel has rifling in it, you'll be OK but, call your local BATF to be sure?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 02:56:03 AM »
you can get a permit for a short barreled rifle from the batf. depending on whether your state laws allow it. Michigan does not. There is no permit available for a shotgun. they are illegal to shorter shorter then 18 inch and if you have a colapsable or folding stock or a pistol grip only on it theres an overal lenght limit too but i dont know that lenght off hand.
blue lives matter

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »
I guess my idea of a 410 O/U handgun will just have to stay a dream. >:(  Thanks for all the great input, guys. 
you can get a permit for a short barreled rifle from the batf.
This must have been what I thought I had heard about.  I will have to check it out with the local boys.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 05:49:05 AM »
There's always the T/C .45 Colt-.410 barrel solution? I agree it's not a true .410 gauge.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:32 AM »
Though I don't share the same dream as you, doesn't the Taurus "Judge" fulfill yours?

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:37:49 AM »
i  have a 9 inch  o/u  12 gage
cost   $200  for permit    and  $90 for the  old beater at a pawn shop

so  $290  invested in a real classic and unigue  gun......just can't cross state lines with  it[with out writen notice]

have  you seen the super comanchy?....10 inch barrel
kinda a cross between  a t/c contender  and a SAA colt
made in argintina    cost less than the permit

2  will be less money than one  taurus judge

i  own  3  and  one is for sale

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:38:36 AM »
American Derrenger makes or made a 410 O/U pistol with 3 to 6" barrels.  depending on your state you may just have to go and order one.
Not real sure why you want one.  But it would be a really loud garden gun.
I have a TC barrel that will take the 410's I plan on using to pot Grouse in ID returning from elk/ deer hunting.  normally we use 22's but I have had a few fly off and thought the 410 may be a better way to go.
You may be able to get a permit to make a historical firearm.  If there was a 410 O/U used for something way back when like the side by side 577, 20, or 16 bore pistols used in India for tigers.  I think they were called Howda guns.  Then possibly.  You can order a side by side from Navy Arms I think that is black powder.  Anything over .5 caliber is a destructive devise and you may want to check local laws.
I think your best bet is to go with a Contender and register it as a handgun and then get the 45 colt/ 410 barrel for it.  As a handgun you can make it a rifle and back as a rifle you are not supose to make it a handgun.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »
i  have a 9 inch  o/u  12 gage cost   $200  for permit    and  $90 for the  old beater at a pawn shopso  $290  invested

So, you're the one!!  You've posted on here about this before.  I knew I had seen it.  Thanks for the reply.

I am familiar with the Super Commanche and also the Am. Derringer models.  The Super Commanche would be great, just thought 2 barrels would be cool.  The American Derringer 6" was appealing to me, but I wanted something with a trigger guard and that is'nt an option with it, like it is with the Bond Arms Defender.  If I could get a Defender with a 6" barrel, that would do it.  Since it isn't offered in a 6" barrel, I started lookin' at other options.  I don't really like the look of the Taurus Judge and it seems like it would be quite bulky to carry.  What's the weight on that, anyway?
Thanks for all the info, guys.  I had almost forgotten I posted this thread.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 04:31:21 PM »
get  the super camanche
they  are real  economical 
see  if  that is something your really want
and  if  you still  want  to  upgrade  later if  it doesn't suit you

what about the  old snake charmers
they are smooth bored  and choked and stainless to boot
the rifled [for lagal reasons] barrels don't pattern as well as smooth bores
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 05:26:39 AM »
Though I don't share the same dream as you, doesn't the Taurus "Judge" fulfill yours?

Been doin' some reading and research.  The NEW Ultra-light Judge actually weighs less than my Buckmark.  That could be a really possibility.  They ARE, however, kind of $$$.  I do like the idea of a relvolver in a cross-draw or chest holster for walkin' the woods.

Thanks for all the input and ideas.

Spent a little time in Gander this afternoon.  New model Judge in the case. Gander Exclusive...its hammerless, they call it "bobbed".  Full DA. Price was $549.  The guy I talked to said it'll pattern #7s about the size of 20gal trash can lid at 30ft and the 45lc was all 5 in the bull.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"